What's new

Restoring jailbroken iPhone and re-jailbreak

JohnPyn

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I currently have a jailbroken iPhone on IOS 5.1.1. I'd like to restore it because I think that due to some Cydia tweak I've recently installed (I'm not sure though) many apps are starting to crash. I was wondering, can I restore it keeping it on 5.1.1 so that I can then re-jailbreak it? Or if I restore it then I must go to 6.0.1 which so far is un-jailbreakable on iPhone 4s? Also I was wondering, in the event that I can keep IOS 5.1.1, doing a back up and transferring all apps through itunes, will I be able to keep the location of ALL the apps into the proper folders? I have folder enhancer installed, that's why I'm asking this question. I was thinking of restoring, then jailbreaking the iPhone, then install folder enhancer as first thing and then put back all apps into the iPhone so that maybe they'll be as they are now although I'm not sure. If anyone can help me with these questions I'll be extremely grateful. Thanks a lot in advance, I'll appreciate very very much any kind of help.

John

1.no, can not restore being jailbroken.
2. i have not had any luck with it putting things back in the folders after a restore, then again i have never used folder enhancer
3. just go into cydia and delete the tweaks causing you problems and that should take care of your current problem. if you suspect it, delete it.

I'm not sure if I misunderstood what you wrote but I'm positive that I can restore by going into DFU mode, what I'm not sure of is whether ir not I can keep the IOS I currently have. The point about the cydia tweaks is that I really have no idea which one could cause this problem, I'm thinking it may be a twrak because if I go in safe mode than all apps work. Thanks for help

Last edited:
1.no, can not restore being jailbroken.
2. i have not had any luck with it putting things back in the folders after a restore, then again i have never used folder enhancer
3. just go into cydia and delete the tweaks causing you problems and that should take care of your current problem. if you suspect it, delete it.

Please don't misguide.

At point 1. Yes, you can ALWAYS restore after being jailbroken. You have to take specific precautions depending on what apps you have installed to make sure that they don't interfere with the re-patching of the kernel and all the system files so you can avoid bricks. You will need the iOS 5.1.1 SHSH blobs if you wish to re-restore to iOS 5.1.1 using RedSn0w's restore feature. However, this CANNOT be done if your iPhone 4S was updated OTA or came with 5.1.1 from the factory. If you at some point restored it again to 5.1.1 when the window was open, then you're good to go

At point 2. If you manually perform a full backup, your apps will be kept in its folders but a few may stray out of the folders (assuming you're not using folder enhancing tweaks in Cydia that lets you put a folder in a folder in a folder)

At point 3. Sometimes the tweak has already done its damage, and removing it doesn't work at all since it's corrupted necessary files. To fully grasp the problem, go to Settings.app > General > About > Diagnostics & Usage > Diagnostics & Usage Data and see if you see anything that has the following format

:YYYY-MM-DD-######.panic.plist

YYYY being the year, MM being the month, and DD being the date. # being numbers. The date would correspond with the date when the crashing happens. If say you opened up one of the apps now, and it crashes, the ones that're at question at the moment and causing problems. Once that app/tweak crashes, open up the Diagnostics and see if you see today's date on the list somewhere. If it's present after the crashing, it's causing a problem with your system files.

Thank you very much for your reply, I'll try the diagnostic very soon although I'm not sure that I understood very mell. I had but 1 question, how do I know if It came with IOS 5.1.1 ? I do have saved blobs for IOS 5.1.1 but I've never restored it so far.

Have you ever upgraded your iOS before on the iPhone since you got it?

I'm not 100% sure, will I get any warning? Or I'll find out when it's too late? I was reading again your reply, Can't I restore from iTunes? I jailbroke my iPhone with absinthe, I'm not sure I can restore with redsn0w or maybe it's the only way?

There is an exploit that RedSn0w takes advantage of to make it "safer" if you will. You can find out but like you said it'll be too late. Try using RedSn0w an re-restore using the blobs and IPSW and see if it gives you the message that your iPhone is updated OTA or from factory

Uhm... sorry, what does "OTA" means? And could you give me the link to the guide to restore from redsn0w? I don't want to do anything wrong or explain step by step how to "Try using RedSn0w an re-restore using the blobs and IPSW and see if it gives you the message that your iPhone is updated OTA or from factory"? Thank you very very much for your help, you have no idea how much I appreciate it, you're really super kind.

OTA = over the air, meaning it was updated using Settings > Software Update.

Download the iPhone 4S iOS 5.1.1 IPSW.

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS5.1.1/041-4346.20120427.1RuDG/iPhone4,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw

Download RedSn0w 0.9.15 beta 3

https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.15b3.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Run RedSn0w as admin. Go to Extras > Even More > Restore. Select IPSW and point it to the IPSW downloaded above. For blobs, select Remote. RedSn0w will automatically retrieve them from Cydia's server. It'll start stitching an IPSW that it'll use. Then a few prompts will come up saying your baseband will upgrade, your iPhone will lose its data so back it up, etc etc. Say yes you want to upgrade your baseband and yes that you're aware that your iPhone's data will be wiped. On the occasion, you might get an error the first time. That's pretty common. It'll say something like there was an error, something broad. Give it a second go, and see if it restores or shows a window that says something along the lines of "Your iPhone cannot be restored to iOS 5.X.X because iOS 5 was installed through OTA or in the factory".

Thank you very much, I'll try that straight away, thanks again for being so kind, I'll let you know how it goes

Unfortunately it told me about the error of the OTA or factory update which in my case is factory :( Is there no other way to restore and keep IOS 5.1.1? I think that if I upgrade to IOS 6.0.1 even if I have saved blobs I won't be able to downgrade to IOS 5.1.1. Right?
Could I go into DFU mode then by pressing the "ALT" key restore to IOS 5.1.1 which is the version I'm on? Thanks a lot again

Last edited:
Unfortunately no. If it's OTA or factory installed, unfortunately the layout of the core files is a little different from a fresh install, so the blobs won't match it unfortunately. Using iTunes to do that won't exactly yield the same results. You'll be slammed with error after error because iTunes won't be purposely exploiting the re-restore capabilities in the kernel.

willerz2 said:
Unfortunately no. If it's OTA or factory installed, unfortunately the layout of the core files is a little different from a fresh install, so the blobs won't match it unfortunately. Using iTunes to do that won't exactly yield the same results. You'll be slammed with error after error because iTunes won't be purposely exploiting the re-restore capabilities in the kernel.

cant he try 5.0.1 n then 5.1.1 as u suggested me...
well i haven't done it coz im pretty happy with 6 now after google maps... ;)

Sent from my iPhone 

cant he try 5.0.1 n then 5.1.1 as u suggested me...
well i haven't done it coz im pretty happy with 6 now after google maps... ;)

Sent from my iPhone 

Well if his iPhone came with iOS 5.1.1, then he won't have 5.0.1 at all since he wasn't jailbroken nor did he have the iOS 5.0.1 blobs for the iPhone anyways.... Blobs are saved when you save them. Cydia will only have them if you access Cydia during the window period that the blobs were being signed. Even if he was on iOS 5.0.1 at one point, he wasn't jailbroken, so unless he's saved those blobs, they never existed for his iPhone. You can't just magically create a previous SHSH blob for an iOS that never existed on your device.