What's new

Sales Tax when purchasing on-line

rstevens1

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a Used iPhone 6 from a company located in Oregon which attracts 0% sales tax. I live in California which has sales tax.

If I buy hardware online from oregon, do I need to pay the sales tax?

Last edited:
Technically yes, but not all online sellers collect sales taxes for out of state sales.

From what I understand, if you buy an item from a company that has a physical presence (warehouse, offices, manufacturing plant, etc.) in your state, then you will pay sales tax.

So complicated there, we just pay VAT Value Added Tax l couldn't even tell you how much it is. I just pay it on everything. 20% l'm told

Gregory Isaacs r.i.p.

Each state has a different amount (6.5% where I live), no federal tax so while states can charge anywhere from no to 10 or11%, still less than 20%. And everyone kinda knows what their state tax is, you would either pay yours or the state you buy it from and the store figures out what to send to the state dept of revenue. It's just what you get used to. The only difference is that in recent years the taxing states have tightened up the revenue laws to make sure they collect the tax no matter where you are buying. All by computer!