What's new

Ringtones newbie

Photodoc

Reaction score
Help please!

I have downloaded some ringtones to my PC, then I sync'd my I-Phone 4 and dragged & dropped my ringtones to the ringtones folder on my I-Phone (under devices). It shows all of the ringtones when I access that folder via ITunes but I can't find them on the phone when I attempt to assign a custom ringtone to a particular contact. Where are the new ringtones? The supplied default ringtones are the only ones that show.

Assistance would be most appreciated.

Photodoc

what you do is open itunes and in the music library select the song you want as an mp3, right click and convert to AAC, then you will need file extensions showing and you will notice it is .m4r what you need to do is change it to .m4a then make sure the song is under 30 seconds and then add it to the ring tone library in itunes and sync it.. if it is over 30 seconds it wont show up in the ring tones

I think that he should change the converted ringtone extention into .m4r instead of changing it into .m4a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

right.. thanks bab... when you convert it it converts to m4a and then you change it to m4r.. sorry still a bit drousey from the valliums i ate last night ;p

right.. thanks bab... when you convert it it converts to m4a and then you change it to m4r.. sorry still a bit drousey from the valliums i ate last night ;p

Hehe no worries man. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Unleashed and bab2010. The ringtones that I downloaded from zedge were (supposedly) already .m4r format. I saved them to a folder on my PC and then dragged and dropped them into my I-Phone subdirectory "ringtones" which showed in I-Tunes when my Phone was USB connected to my PC. I also made a copy and put the ringtones in a similar subdirectory of "Library" which appeared in I-Tunes on my PC.

My problem is: when I attempt to assign one of my downloaded ringtones to a contact (in edit) the only choices that I am presented with are the original ringtones supplied with the I-Phone 4. I can't find the downloaded (read, dragged and dropped) files on my Phone although they clearly show as existing when I look for them via the I-Tunes software.

Clearly, they weren't put in the ringtone list which I access in my phone via contact > edit. I don't seem to have an icon on my Phone's "desktop" screen which allows me to browse what is stored in "Photodoc's I-Phone" >ringtones. One (only one) ringtone that I downloaded appears in the Phone's list of ringtones in a separate box labeled "Custom".

Shouldn't all of the downloaded ringtone have been placed in the phone's ringtone directory... the one that has the default supplied tones? I'm getting very frustrated.

Regards,
Photodoc

I suggest the following,..

1st - You're downloading from zEdge. On the website you must first select the type of phone you're wanting to download software for. Select your phone and download a new and unique ringtone to your desk top. You mentioned in your original post that zEdge automatically formatted the ringtones for the iPhone and you are correct. Now we have eliminated the possibility of having the wrong format for iTunes.

2nd) Plug your iPhone to the USB port on your computer and launch iTunes. Wait until the iPhone appears on the side bar of iTunes.

3rd) In iTunes sidebar select (highlight) the Ringtones folder. Now go to file menu and select "add to library". Browse to the desktop and select your new unique ringtone and press enter. It should now appear next to the highlighted "ringtones" folder. Not in the folder on the side bar but next to it. The same way your music library folder appears.

4th) Highlight your connected iPhone from the iTunes sidebar. On the iphone menu in iTunes select the tab labeled "ringtones", click on it and make sure that is set to sync all ringtones. Now sync you iPhone as usual.

5th) Unplug your iPhone, go to settings > sounds > ringtones. This is were your new unique ringtone should appear. It should be on the very top. The iOS automatically creates a new section on top labeled "custom" followed by all the original iPhone ringtones. If your new ringtone does not appear here it might mean that there's other issues going on with it.

Side note: iTunes automatically creates a folder labeled "ringtones" under iTunes > music. I recommend you browse for it on you computers file manager. Its in there (or at least it should be) along side all the other folders of your favorite singers.

Let us know what happens.

Well, no luck. I followed your instructions to the letter ... I must say parenthetically that I had used that very same technique previosly but I started from scratch just in case I had messed up in earlier attempts.

When I "add to library", my ringtone appears to the right of the ringtone subdirectory as you mention in your instructions. However, when I "sync", the ringtone fails to appear opposite the ringtones folder which belongs to my I-Phone. Additionally, no "custom" folder is created.

I'm baffled! I got my phone less than a week ago and when I set it up originally I downloaded the latest software: v 4.3.2 (8H7) Could there be a "bug" in the latest software?

Obviously, it's not the end of the world but unique ringtones are a great asset to me due to a rapidly dwindling hearing acuity.

Nevertheless, it is irritating to say the least.

Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Photodoc

make sure the ringtone is under 30 seconds and also in the iphone tab there is a ringtone tab there also make sure you have it select to sync all ringtones

I understand how frustrating it can be but we'll find a solution. I can tell you with certainty that that's not the way the iOS is suppose to work. Now let's try to figure it out. Make sure you're on the latest firmware. Also is your iPhone jailbroken or unlocked?

Eureka! I've finally solved the problem (after two nights of no sleep). I hate unsolved problems no matter how trivial they might be.

Starting from: LGMarines'

>>>3rd) In iTunes sidebar select (highlight) the Ringtones folder. Now go to file menu and select "add to library". Browse to the desktop and select your new unique ringtone and press enter. It should now appear next to the highlighted "ringtones" folder. Not in the folder on the side bar but next to it. The same way your music library folder appears.>>>

Fourth: Select the ringtones which now appear in the ringtones subdirectory of the Library that one desires to be moved.

Fifth: drag and drop the selected library ringtones to >>> Devices (I-Phone).
The area under the dragged files covers the entire I-Phone Device and sub-directories, one of which
is the I-Phone's ringtone directory. After you "drop" the files appear to the right of the I-Phone's ringtones directory, clearly placed there by the software.

Sixth: sync the phone

Untether the I-Phone and lo and behold, the ringtones are all present in a custom folder that the software created ready to be used.

And Viola!

Thanks to all of you, now I can put my toy away briefly and turn my attention to more weighty matters like mounting a rifle scope.

Thanks again all.....

Photodoc

BTW, LG... ?Marines?

Photodoc said:
Eureka! I've finally solved the problem (after two nights of no sleep). I hate unsolved problems no matter how trivial they might be.

Starting from: LGMarines'

>>>3rd) In iTunes sidebar select (highlight) the Ringtones folder. Now go to file menu and select "add to library". Browse to the desktop and select your new unique ringtone and press enter. It should now appear next to the highlighted "ringtones" folder. Not in the folder on the side bar but next to it. The same way your music library folder appears.>>>

Fourth: Select the ringtones which now appear in the ringtones subdirectory of the Library that one desires to be moved.

Fifth: drag and drop the selected library ringtones to >>> Devices (I-Phone).
The area under the dragged files covers the entire I-Phone Device and sub-directories, one of which
is the I-Phone's ringtone directory. After you "drop" the files appear to the right of the I-Phone's ringtones directory, clearly placed there by the software.

Sixth: sync the phone

Untether the I-Phone and lo and behold, the ringtones are all present in a custom folder that the software created ready to be used.

And Viola!

Thanks to all of you, now I can put my toy away briefly and turn my attention to more weighty matters like mounting a rifle scope.

Thanks again all.....

Photodoc

BTW, LG... ?Marines?

I'm glad to hear that you got it all worked out. Patience always pays off. As for my my screen name. It's my first, middle and last name. Luis G. Marines (of Mexican descent). Have a great weekend and I hope mounting a rifle scope is easier than fixing an iPhone. I'll see you around my friend. :)