What's new

Downloading ringtones?

LaurenRae

Reaction score
I did a search for free iPhone ringtones and downloaded a few. I dragged and dropped them into the Tones folder for my iPhone in iTunes. Each tone is 30 seconds or less. Each has a check mark beside it. But...when I sync to my iPhone, the new ringtones are not recognized by my phone in the Ringtone folder. They are not hiding in the Music folder.

These new tones played automatically in iTunes when I downloaded them and I can play them with iTunes from the folder in which I stored them on my computer (the folder is a folder I created in my Music library, but is not connected to iTunes). However, I cannot get them to play from the folder in iTunes.

Clearly, I did something wrong...but what?

By the way, I am a new iPhone user AND a new iTunes user.

Does NOBODY know how to do this? I found a YouTube video in which the girl does what I did, but it didn't work for me. I finally figured out how to get tunes to the music folder, so all my ringtones are on my iPhone as music. I found a web site that said I should be able to do what I want with the tunes once I got them to the phone, but that's not happening. How do I turn the tunes into tones?

I've also seen posts about how you have to make your own tones, but why should I do that if I can find tones I like already online? Can I take the tones I like and put them into a tone maker and then make my iPhone happy?

I have an iPhone 4S, if that makes any difference. I am synching onto a laptop that runs Windows 7...I mention that in case that is the issue.

Last edited:
I did a search for free iPhone ringtones and downloaded a few. I dragged and dropped them into the Tones folder for my iPhone in iTunes. Each tone is 30 seconds or less. Each has a check mark beside it. But...when I sync to my iPhone, the new ringtones are not recognized by my phone in the Ringtone folder. They are not hiding in the Music folder.

These new tones played automatically in iTunes when I downloaded them and I can play them with iTunes from the folder in which I stored them on my computer (the folder is a folder I created in my Music library, but is not connected to iTunes). However, I cannot get them to play from the folder in iTunes.

Clearly, I did something wrong...but what?

By the way, I am a new iPhone user AND a new iTunes user.
drag the ringtones into iTunes, connect your iPhone to our iTunes and click on the ringtones tab, check the ringtone tab and sync it to your iPhone.

I'm not sure I understand WHERE to drag tunes. I dragged and dropped into the Tones folder, and nothing happened. Everything that shows up in the Tones folder on my laptop is grayed out and seems like a phantom file. I can't even delete those files.

Okay here is what I did.......

Downloaded the ringtone to my phone. Hooked up to computer and opened iTunes. Found the ringtone on my phone, dragged it to the "Library" and dropped it. It automatically went into the Tones section. I clicked on the Tones section to make sure it was there. Then I grabbed it and dragged it to my iPhone and dropped it and again it automatically went to the Tones section. Then when I went to set the ringtone it showed up in my list of available tones. I am not sure why but you HAVE to drag it off your phone and put it in the iTunes Library then drag it from there back to your phone. Makes not sense I know but that is how I got it to work.

I have never had to do that.lol

Tho I have alway made my own ringtones with iTunes.

That is how I got a downloaded ringtone to work on mine. The process maybe totally different if you are making your own from iTunes. The ringtones I am talking about came from an app not iTunes don't know if that matters or not.

dlwhtrose said:
That is how I got a downloaded ringtone to work on mine. The process maybe totally different if you are making your own from iTunes. The ringtones I am talking about came from an app not iTunes don't know if that matters or not.

Oh oh......okay...I get it.

I thought he was talking about ringtones straight from the iTunes store.lol.

But yeah......I know AppStore apps that make ringtones need to be first dropped somewhere else (sometimes the desktop, sometimes rite to the music library in iTunes) then dropped back in into the phone.

Which is only because Apple does not allow any apps to integrate into those settings.

Yup that is pretty much what happened with the app I have. Put them to the desktop then into the library then to the phone. Its sooo different from Android. I am used to downloading a ringtone and being able to go right to it on the phone and applying it. This was totally different for me.

dlwhtrose said:
Yup that is pretty much what happened with the app I have. Put them to the desktop then into the library then to the phone. Its sooo different from Android. I am used to downloading a ringtone and being able to go right to it on the phone and applying it. This was totally different for me.

Yup. That is also why iOS is generally more secure...Android apps can tie rite in the phones code...Apple does not allow AppStore apps to do that.

But when you jailbreak....you can do literally everything an Android can and more.

And the default repos are all well known and trusted developers....I just love it.lol.

Btw...if you do jailbreak....there is a tweak called AnyRing..that allows you make ringtones outbid your iPod library and add them rite to the sounds section rite in the Settings app.

Btw...if you do jailbreak....there is a tweak called AnyRing..that allows you make ringtones outbid your iPod library and add them rite to the sounds section rite in the Settings app.
Newbie here, can you tell me where I can download AnyRing? My phone is jailbroken but i have no idea how to utilize that!

europa said:
Newbie here, can you tell me where I can download AnyRing? My phone is jailbroken but i have no idea how to utilize that!

Cydia. Ya have to buy it. I think there is a trial tho. Not sure. Just open Cyida sbd search for AbyRing. One word.

Thanks, all. I just remembered that my brother has a knock-off iPod. If I can't figure this out, I'll bet he can do it for me. He is much better at computers than I am!

Warning: soapbox commentary coming!
This issue of Apple iPhone ringtones is ridiculous! If any alien were to read the postings above, they would say: what's wrong with this picture.

Downloading and installing ringtones onto the iPhone should be SO much easier, and not have to reply on weird iTunes maneuverings. Yes, it can be done, if you know the secret process. But it shouldn't have to be that complex. Thanks Apple.