What's new

Downloading ringtones?

Warning: soapbox commentary coming!
This issue of Apple iPhone ringtones is ridiculous! If any alien were to read the postings above, they would say: what's wrong with this picture.

Downloading and installing ringtones onto the iPhone should be SO much easier, and not have to reply on weird iTunes maneuverings. Yes, it can be done, if you know the secret process. But it shouldn't have to be that complex. Thanks Apple.

Agreed!!! It's the ONLY thing I don't like about my iPhone. Well...that and it's a data hog. :)

I FINALLY figured out how to get free ringtones onto my iPhone. I'm putting it here in case someone else is having trouble and runs a search.

It doesn't seem to matter where the tones come from, as long as they have an m4r extension. I downloaded the tones and saved them to file, which put them into a temporary file. I then dragged and dropped the tones into their own folder in my Music folder on my laptop. Then I dragged and dropped each tone into the Tone folder of iTunes, while my phone was not connected to my computer. Then I connected my phone and waited for iTunes to do its sync routine. Then I dragged and dropped the tones from the iTunes Tone folder to my iPhone folder (but not to the iPhone Tone folder - that didn't work), where the tones automatically found the Tone folder. Then I synched again and...voila! The tones were installed on my phone.

I don't know why installing ringtones should be such an arduous process. Just about everything else about the iPhone is pretty intuitive. Maybe they make it hard because they want us to BUY ringtones?

LaurenRae said:
I FINALLY figured out how to get free ringtones onto my iPhone. I'm putting it here in case someone else is having trouble and runs a search.

It doesn't seem to matter where the tones come from, as long as they have an m4r extension. I downloaded the tones and saved them to file, which put them into a temporary file. I then dragged and dropped the tones into their own folder in my Music folder on my laptop. Then I dragged and dropped each tone into the Tone folder of iTunes, while my phone was not connected to my computer. Then I connected my phone and waited for iTunes to do its sync routine. Then I dragged and dropped the tones from the iTunes Tone folder to my iPhone folder (but not to the iPhone Tone folder - that didn't work), where the tones automatically found the Tone folder. Then I synched again and...voila! The tones were installed on my phone.

I don't know why installing ringtones should be such an arduous process. Just about everything else about the iPhone is pretty intuitive. Maybe they make it hard because they want us to BUY ringtones?

Wow.....I have never had to do all of that to get free ringtone on my iPhone. All I ever had to do was either use a song from my iPod library and make ringtone that way (very easy).

Or if I downloaded a ringtone, I just change it to .m4r and that is all I needed to do...and I just did this last week.

No one should have to do all of that to get ringtones on there iPhone. I never have any way.

zig9449 said:
Wow.....I have never had to do all of that to get free ringtone on my iPhone. All I ever had to do was either use a song from my iPod library and make ringtone that way (very easy).

Or if I downloaded a ringtone, I just change it to .m4r and that is all I needed to do...and I just did this last week.

No one should have to do all of that to get ringtones on there iPhone. I never have any way.

Hey! Give the oke some credit for sorting something and being willing to share his /her experience.Not all of us are experts like you.

Semel said:
Hey! Give the oke some credit for sorting something and being willing to share his /her experience.Not all of us are experts like you.

Your right mate....your right.......my bad......

And I'm not what one would consider an expert......just experienced.lol.

zig9449 said:
Your right mate....your right.......my bad......

And I'm not what one would consider an expert......just experienced.lol.

Peace.

Alas, I don't have an iPod...I'm rather behind the times.

How do you change the extension on the song/tone file? Do you need a program for that? I can't find a way to change the extension the way I can change the name.

Alas, I don't have an iPod...I'm rather behind the times.

How do you change the extension on the song/tone file? Do you need a program for that? I can't find a way to change the extension the way I can change the name.

Alway changed the extension just by right clicking and click "rename".

Delete the whole name, then type the name again and place ".m4r" at the end.

new tones played automatically in iTunes when I downloaded them and I can play them with iTunes from the folder in which I stored them on my computer.However, I cannot get them to play from the folder in iTunes.

Last edited:
See this video and download ringtons for your phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I had actually found that video when I was attempting to load ringtones. It didn't work quite that way for me. I know I have the most up-to-date iTunes software, but maybe it behaves differently with my operating system. Or, maybe I did one little thing differently, and that threw everything else off.

At any rate, I found a way that works. I guess that's what counts for now. When I want more ringtones, I'll try again the way in the video.

Today, I again tried installing a new ringtone by directly dragging and dropping to the iPhone folder on iTunes. No go - it shows up in iTunes, but it's grayed out and does not transfer to my iPhone. I MUST drag and drop the tone to the iTunes folder, then drag and drop it into my iPhone folder, then sync to my iPhone. It's round about, but it works, so I'll have to stick with it. (If it works for you to drag and drop directly, great, but at least there is a workaround.)

Check the file extention at the end of the file if it's, .mp3 or .wav, etc. you have to rename it to .mpr 1.I make a folder on my desk top "Iphone Ringtones"
2. go into itunes and right click on mp3 file or sound. 3. itunes will create a duplicate ACC version of the sound. 4. drag the ACC version to my Iphone Ringtones folder. 5. right click on it and rename and change the extention to .mpr. 6. click to play and it should go into your tones file. 7. hook up your iphone and sync all tones and you should be all set.