What's new

Restoring to the same iOS with blobs

willerz2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've always wondered but never really tried since it always slips my mind. Would it be possible to restore an idevice to the same iOS with the blobs for that iOS after the signing period has ended? I.E. if you're running 5.1.1 now, and only 6.0 is being signed, would you be able to restore it back to 5.1.1 as in a clean install using blobs? I know that you'd need Pwned DFU for downgrading but would regular DFU work for basically "re-installing" an iOS? On non-A5 devices, you would be able to upgrade them to 6.0 then downgrade again with RedSn0w or sn0wbreeze with the low level boot exploit, but would it work on A5s?

If you have SHSH's saved for the specific iOS version you're wanting to downgrade to... yes. You can update then downgrade back to that specific iOS version freely. However, this only applies to A4 devices and earlier. The 4S and 5 do not have the needed bootrom exploit (limera1n) to downgrade.

Right now I'm trying to get a fresh installation of 5.1.1 on my work 4S, and since the 4S does not have an exploit, I was wondering if I can just do a fresh install. Basically skipping the upgrading part and just starting with the stitching

Right now I'm trying to get a fresh installation of 5.1.1 on my work 4S, and since the 4S does not have an exploit, I was wondering if I can just do a fresh install. Basically skipping the upgrading part and just starting with the stitching
Nope... the stitching process creates a "Custom IPSW" on your iDevice. The limera1n exploit is what's needed to install the Custom IPSW file. That's what the whole downgrading hangup is... installing the Custom Firmware. Without that bootrom exploit... it's just not possible.

I thought saving the blobs with tiny umbrella and using redsnow to "re-restore" would allow you to reload 5.1.1 on a 4s as long as you were still on 5.1.1.

wingzfan61 said:
I thought saving the blobs with tiny umbrella and using redsnow to "re-restore" would allow you to reload 5.1.1 on a 4s as long as you were still on 5.1.1.

Nope... redsn0w will create the custom IPSW using the saved SHSH's. That custom firmware is only loadable on.... pre-A5 iDevices.

Thomasjtsi said:
Nope... redsn0w will create the custom IPSW using the saved SHSH's. That custom firmware is only loadable on.... pre-A5 iDevices.

Actually the redsnow does restore 5.1.1 on a5 devices as long as cydia has saved 5.1.1 blobs or you save them on tiny umbrella. The newest redsnow has a Re-restore feature to reload the current 5.1.1 as long as you havent upgraded to 6.

It was released about 2 weeks ago.

wingzfan61 said:
Actually the redsnow does restore 5.1.1 on a5 devices as long as cydia has saved 5.1.1 blobs or you save them on tiny umbrella. The newest redsnow has a Re-restore feature to reload the current 5.1.1 as long as you havent upgraded to 6.

It was released about 2 weeks ago.

Ahhhh ok.... thought we were still talking about downgrading here! You got me on that one.......

Ah, but one thing to keep in mind. That re-restore function has not been released yet.

So, it's going to be possible - we just don't know when that tool will be released.

Just FYI...

Marilyn

Thank you wingzfan61, +1 for you. So in the video tutorial, it's 5.0.1 and 5.1.1, so in the case of a re-restore, I'd just choose 5.1.1 for both of the firmware selections?
From what I'm seeing... if you're on 5.1.1 the restore is to 5.1.1 & if you're on 5.0.1 the restore is to 5.0.1.

Just to be clear and as per Marilyn's post above, the feature does NOT exist yet. The blog and video tutorial is referring to an old method which no longer works which they ASSUME will be the same.

The iPhone dev-team have announced that the re-restore feature is forthcoming, but have NOT released the new version of redsn0w which will support it yet! :D

Rest assured we will have news and tutorials posted when the new version is released!

Last edited: