What's new

Restoring 4.2.1 after jailbreak

Hungryghost

Reaction score
I have just jailbroken my iPhone 4 on ios4.2.1 and am very happy with result. But just out of interest, if I sync it with iTunes and then I need to restore it for whatever reason, either it crashes or I need to take it to apple or something, will it just restore to a clean 4.2.1? And I can then rejailbreak it if I want (I WILL want!) I have done the "make my life easier" bit when installing cydia, but do I also need to save my SHSH blobs with tinyumbrella? Any advice gratefully received.
I am very happy with 3G derestrictor;I couldn't believe it when I realised I could only download 20mb!

I have just jailbroken my iPhone 4 on ios4.2.1 and am very happy with result. But just out of interest, if I sync it with iTunes and then I need to restore it for whatever reason, either it crashes or I need to take it to apple or something, will it just restore to a clean 4.2.1? And I can then rejailbreak it if I want (I WILL want!) I have done the "make my life easier" bit when installing cydia, but do I also need to save my SHSH blobs with tinyumbrella? Any advice gratefully received.
I am very happy with 3G derestrictor;I couldn't believe it when I realised I could only download 20mb!

itunes will automatically put 4.3.4 or what ever the latest firmware is at the time, so save our shsh's and keep the 4.2.1 firmware handy to load with itunes if you ever need to restore, if you want to stay on 4.2.1

Ok thanks, but did I save my SHSH blobs when I clicked "make my life easier" or do I need to do it via tinyumbrella in windows? In my cydia it says "TSS pending on this device" so I guess it hasn't done it yet? Forgive my ignorance I only started looking into this the last couple days

Ok thanks. I was labouring under a
misunderstanding.... I thought that tinyumbrella would let me save SHSH blobs for the firmware on my phone, but it only does the latest firmware apple is signing? I have only just missed 4.3.3 by a day or two right? I am proper kicking myself I didn't do this a couple weeks ago, I could of just updated to 4.3.3 saved my blobs and happily jailbreaked. Gutted. I will look at your link. In my haste tonight I typed ifaith into search engine and tried to download it, but the virus protection said it was malicious and so I deleted it. I'll try the version in your link tomorrow, gonna go to bed now! At least i got my jailbreak I'll just have to hope it doesn't crash.

Ok thanks again that sounds exactly what I need I have been doing a bit of reading around the subject. I think my antivirus is being overcautious

Hungryghost said:
Ok thanks again that sounds exactly what I need I have been doing a bit of reading around the subject. I think my antivirus is being overcautious

Yes, if you are going via the link then it will be a false positive. Some JB tools do that depending on the AV.

Makes sense cos it's software that's going to access security features and whatnot. I was using my mums computer until I get my brother in laws old laptop, and they recently had some problems so I think they have everything turned up to max. I'll have a play with this "ifaith" and see if I can do it. Ios4.2.1 is fine for me. It would have been good to have got ios4.3.3 as it's the latest firmware you can untethered jailbreak but it looks like I just missed that boat. I need to be able to restore to 4.2.1 cos from what I have read it might be a while before ios4.3.4 can be jailbreaked untethered. Cheers again for your help

Makes sense cos it's software that's going to access security features and whatnot. I was using my mums computer until I get my brother in laws old laptop, and they recently had some problems so I think they have everything turned up to max. I'll have a play with this "ifaith" and see if I can do it. Ios4.2.1 is fine for me. It would have been good to have got ios4.3.3 as it's the latest firmware you can untethered jailbreak but it looks like I just missed that boat. I need to be able to restore to 4.2.1 cos from what I have read it might be a while before ios4.3.4 can be jailbreaked untethered. Cheers again for your help

A long long while or even never to for getting untether jailbreak for iOS 4.3.4. Just make sure you don't get the recovery mode on your phone, and if you are jailbreak at the moment, you will do better by saving your iOS shsh blobs using TinyUmbrella.

How can I jailbreak my iPhone using my phone

Don't understand your question or you might be talking about jailbreakme.com maybe, if yes, then you have to be on iOS 4.3.3 or 4.2.8 then just head to jailbreakme.com using your iPhone Safari Web Browser. Follow instructions.

Bab2010, thanks for answer but I am unable to use tinyumbrella as apple are not signing for 4.2.1 anymore. I don't know if they will still allow 4.3.3 but all I got is "sorry mate too late" or words to that effect. I have successfully saved 4.2.1 blobs using iFaith now anyway. I just need to build a 4.2.1 .ipsw file so I have it all ready if I ever need it, apparently iFaith can also do this, I didn't have time. Thanks f4780y.
Mo runnels, if you have iOS 4.3.0-4.3.3 you can just go to jailbreakme 3.0. Google it. If you are on 4.2.1 like me you can only do it by hooking up to computer but it's just as easy using greenpoison. Download the software and follow instructions. There are good how2s on this site. You probably know this by now tho!

Bab2010, thanks for answer but I am unable to use tinyumbrella as apple are not signing for 4.2.1 anymore. I don't know if they will still allow 4.3.3 but all I got is "sorry mate too late" or words to that effect. I have successfully saved 4.2.1 blobs using iFaith now anyway. I just need to build a 4.2.1 .ipsw file so I have it all ready if I ever need it, apparently iFaith can also do this, I didn't have time. Thanks f4780y.
Mo runnels, if you have iOS 4.3.0-4.3.3 you can just go to jailbreakme 3.0. Google it. If you are on 4.2.1 like me you can only do it by hooking up to computer but it's just as easy using greenpoison. Download the software and follow instructions. There are good how2s on this site. You probably know this by now tho!

Ah ok, I see, I though you were on iOS 4.3.3 or 4.2.8
But you can jailbreak it using your computer then.

Already done it! Used greenpoison it was very simple. Love it, it's ironed out all the little niggles I had with my iPhone, particularly 20mb limit! Only just started to explore possibilities.

Hungryghost said:
Already done it! Used greenpoison it was very simple. Love it, it's ironed out all the little niggles I had with my iPhone, particularly 20mb limit! Only just started to explore possibilities.

I can't unjailbreak mine it say no Internet connection what do I do