What's new

Restore to 4.2.8 Failed Unknown Error (1)

haxy

Reaction score
Hello,
I am desperate at this point. My issue is as follows. I own the iPhone 4 CMDA Version. It was on iOS 4.2.6 with the GreenPois0n jailbreak. I wanted to clean up my device so I figured I would restore it back to iOS 4.2.6 and rejailbreak it. However, when I tried to restore to 4.2.6 it restored about half way until it got to "Restoring iPhone Firmware" and then I got the error "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored due to an unknown error (1)." I tried restoring to 4.2.8. This also resulted in the same error. I have 4.2.6 and 4.2.8 shsh stored on my local computer with Tinyumbrella and on cydia. I started the tinyumbrella tss server before I did the restore. I can only restore to 4.2.10 (The recent iOS that was released today). I also tried restoring on different computers. My iTunes versons are different versions of the betas used to put iOS 5 on your iDevices. I don't believe this would affect anything however. I wonder if my shsh are screwed up in some way but if that was the case I wouldn't have been able to begun the restore so...? Please help! Greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much in advance!
Haxy

Yes, you will now be stuck in a recovery loop, no matter which restore you try unless it is the latest (4.2.10). This seems to be the latest result when restoring our iPhones on latest iTunes then trying to downgrade.

I posted about a process to fix this for GSM iPhone4's, and another user since posted a slight alternative which he says works for CDMA. Scroll down the post to the bottom for his alternative.
You MUST restore to the firmware you want to be on, which WILL result in you having a recovery loop which cannot be exited, THEN follow the instructions in this next post exactly! Dont miss a step and don't deviate. Hope it works for you.

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/h...ecovery-loop-following-4-3-4-downgrade-17494/

I followed the steps to get out of the recovery loop. It did not hang anywhere. Redsn0w was able to show the verbose screen with all the scrolling text and it did not hang anywhere. It just rebooted and went back into recovery mode. I tried using tinyumbrella to get it out but tinyumbrella just restarts it and it just goes back into recovery mode. I also looked at the cmda link you talked about. I just decided to stick with 4.2.6. So that post shouldn't affect I believe.

SUCCESS: I was able to get it back for now... My solution was to use 4.2.6. The process did exactly what they said. Thank you greatly. I have a great appreciation and respect for this forum now.

Hello again, so now my situation is as follows.
So, my iPhone was having speaker problems the other day. I brought it to an apple retail store and got a brand new phone. I restored that phone to my old phones backup, however, my original plans were to downgrade back to 4.2.6. I have the shsh blobs from the old phone still. They are working on my new phone to it appears. So, I figured I would follow these steps exactly with ease again, but this time instead of going into a "recovery loop" it appears to go into a "DFU loop". The device shows a black screen. But iTunes still wants to restore it. I tried using tiny umbrella to "fix recovery" but it gets stuck at "green poison initialized". I tried using redsnow to jailbreak and then kick out of recovery. But that also didn't work. I need help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, haxy

You can't use the SHSH blobs from your old phone on your new phone, otherwise there would just be a set of public SHSHs for each device that people could download and use to downgrade. An SHSH key is like a fingerprint, no two are the same and each one is unique to each individual device based on the device's ECID and firmware revision.

Right, but then shouldn't it have stopped me in the first place from restoring? I know it mentions a DFU loop in the guide but I used a different computer with 10.2.2.

Alright. So the only thing that I could do right now would be to use a tethered jailbreak for 4.2.10? Also should I just wait for iOS 5 in a day or two? Because I'm sure they have or will have a jailbreak for that soon.

It's up to you, personally I can't live without a jailbreak so I would settle for a tethered jailbreak for now, but again it's user preference.