What's new

Restore to errors

n0m0n

Reaction score
Hello,
And yes I tried to search found and nothing worked so I am now posting.
First I have downloaded:
iREB v4
Tinyumbrella 5.0.11
redsn0w 0.9.8b7

OK, I am try restoring my iPh4 (Verizon) to stock 4.2.8.
I tried the above iREB and found that running redsn0w will put me into DFU mode.

After getting my deviced into DFU I then open and run Tinyumbrella which does have about 5 SHSH's saved. (iPhoneCDMA 4.2.8)

I then I run TSS Server and open iTunes and choose restore (shift / restore).
It runs through the steps it does then I get error 1013, and my device is in restore mode (USB cable / iTunes disc) on the screen.

I used to be able to do this in the past without any problem.
Now I am talking about when I had my 2g device.

Can anyone please help me to understand how to get this to work???
I'm using a PC if that is needed info.

OH and I tried the exit recovery option in Tinyumbrella but it doesn't do anything that I can see.

Thanks

Check the hosts file...

Mac OS X

1. On your Mac, go to “Applications” folder.

2. Go to the “Utilities” folder.

3. Start “Terminal”.

4. Type “sudo nano /etc/hosts” (without quotes) and hit enter.

5. Enter your login password

6. Use the down arrow key to find “gs.apple.com”. Add “#” in front of the text e.g. #gs.apple.com

7. Save the file by hitting CONTROL+O.

8. Exit the nano editor.

9. Restore your iPhone.

Windows

1. Go to Start > Programs > Accessories

2. Run Notepad. Note: on Windows 7, right click on Notepad icon and select “Run As Administrator”

3. Click File > Open

4. Go to Windows/System32/drivers/etc

5. In “files of type:” select all documents

6. Open “hosts”

7. Delete any entry with “gs.apple.com”

8. Click Save

9. Restore your iPhone

Check the hosts file...

Windows

1. Go to Start > Programs > Accessories

2. Run Notepad. Note: on Windows 7, right click on Notepad icon and select “Run As Administrator”

3. Click File > Open

4. Go to Windows/System32/drivers/etc

5. In “files of type:” select all documents

6. Open “hosts”

7. Delete any entry with “gs.apple.com”

8. Click Save

9. Restore your iPhone

Will I need tinyumbrella, redsn0w, or iREB?

THANKS

Last edited:
Im still stuck in recovery mode.

Any direction anyone can offer me?

Thanks

OK So I am only able to restore to 4.0.10. What do I do to get back down to 4.2.8 so I can jailbreak my device?

Tahnks

Last edited:
Hi.

n0m0n did you ever figure out how to get out of that recovery/DFU mode thing ?
It's strange because i have similar problem. I had to downgrade a 3Gs from 4.3.5 to 4.3.3 and it had SHSH for all iOS4 on hold. First i entered PWN DFU mode and the restored in iTunes but after the restore was finished. I never managed to get out of the DFU mode ???
Really weird. No matter what i did, i coulden get it out :( Only way was restoreing again to a stock 4.3.5. Non of the before firmware i was able to restore back to. I tried from 4.3.3 to 4.2.1. I'm not sure if i remember right but i think i heard something about Apple changed something before iOS4.1 ?

Hi.

It's strange because i have similar problem. I had to downgrade a 3Gs from 4.3.5 to 4.3.3 and it had SHSH for all iOS4 on hold. First i entered PWN DFU mode and the restored in iTunes but after the restore was finished. I never managed to get out of the DFU mode ???
Really weird. No matter what i did, i coulden get it out :( Only way was restoreing again to a stock 4.3.5. Non of the before firmware i was able to restore back to. I tried from 4.3.3 to 4.2.1. I'm not sure if i remember right but i think i heard something about Apple changed something before iOS4.1 ?

NOPE. I ended up restoring to 4.2.10, and figured that since 5 was around the corner I might as well get used to a un-jailbroken iPhone for now.

I miss all the options that a jailbroken device offers but...

I found this link a day of 2 ago.
Take a look at it and let me know if it helped you with this issue.
Looks like tis the answer.
I just can't afford to take my device down again for half a day.
And thats is everything goes smoothly.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/09/21/how-to-fix-recovery-loop-downgrade-to-ios-4-3-3/

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi.

NOPE. I ended up restoring to 4.2.10, and figured that since 5 was around the corner I might as well get used to a un-jailbroken iPhone for now.

I miss all the options that a jailbroken device offers but...

I found this link a day of 2 ago.
Take a look at it and let me know if it helped you with this issue.
Looks like tis the answer.
I just can't afford to take my device down again for half a day.
And thats is everything goes smoothly.

How to Fix the iPhone’s Dreaded Recovery Loop and Downgrade Back to iOS 4.3.3

Thanks

I just reposted the link..
The first one was wrong this is it.