What's new

Redsnow or Snowbreeze

alifkm2

Reaction score
What is the difference between these 2 tools?

which is better for 5.0.1 and i saw a lot of jailbreaker here is using redsnow. why?

The primary difference is as follows:

sn0wbreeze is a Windows tool which creates jailbreak custom firmware files which can be restored onto the device, wiping what already exists on the device first.

redsn0w is a Windows and OSX tool which jailbreaks a device by deploying the jailbreak payload onto the installed version of IOS, keeping whatever you have installed and configured intact.

The choice if which one to use comes down to your personal situation in terms of PC OS (Windows or OSX) and device set-up (model, version of IOS installed, version of IOS you want to jailbreak) etc.

It's not really a question of one being better than the other. It's whichever is right for you to achieve the result you need based on the status of your kit...

redsn0w is generally a bit easier to get your head around - see here http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/h...-ios5-tethered-using-redsn0w-beginners-25943/, but there is nothing wrong with sn0wbreeze.

Ya, no need for redsn0w if you use sn0wbreeze and vice versa, you only need one or the other. They both do the same thing in different ways. If you require an unlock you will always want to use custom firmware to restore otherwise you will update or corrupt your baseband.

Just to correct you Barrie so as not to confuse other readers, you don't NEED both to jailbreak 5.0.1. You choose to use sn0wbreeze. You are not FORCED to use sn0wbreeze. It is a Windows only tool and that would mean jailbreaking 5.0.1 was restricted to Windows users. That is plainly not true... :)

But redsn0w will not package up 5.0.1 (yet) so you do need sn0wbreeze, at least if using windows 7.

Barrie

Thank you for everybody's feedback. I've just jailbroken my ip4 with 5.0.1 using both of the tools.

At first, i try using the snowbreeze. It was easy and it creates custom firmware using the original ipsw. But the firmware created isnt really stable for my device. And boot tethering via ibooty also difficult to do. Sometimes it got stuck. And it also crash my voice control into a some-kind-of-zombie sound. LOL

So, after all of the negative things happens while using snowbreeze, i decided to try using redsnow. & until now, i found that redsnow is quite stable for 5.0.1. Eerything is working perfectly until now. I will update when i discover anything bad from redsnow.

Until then, lets wait for 5.0.2 next week. Cheers!

Barrie said:
But redsn0w will not package up 5.0.1 (yet) so you do need sn0wbreeze, at least if using windows 7.

Barrie

Redsn0w jailbreaks 5.0.1 by using the 5.0 Ipsw file. They are fundamentally different ways of jailbreaking. You can still jailbreak 5.0.1 on Windows 7 without sn0wbreeze if you choose.

f4780y said:
Redsn0w jailbreaks 5.0.1 by using the 5.0 Ipsw file. They are fundamentally different ways of jailbreaking. You can still jailbreak 5.0.1 on Windows 7 without sn0wbreeze if you choose.

Ah, thanks for that. I was not aware.

Barrie