What's new

redsnow not able to JB iPhone 4 running 5.1...

schollianmj

Reaction score
So I am trying to perform the tethered jailbreak using redsn0w 0.9.10b8b and it is getting stuck every time. I get the phone into DFU mode, and the program recognizes it. I click jailbreak button and it will say exploiting with limera n1 then uploading first stage, uploading second stage. but then it gets stuck on waiting for reboot as my phone reboots normally.

I have tried different cords, ports, computers... i an working on a win 7 laptop, but i went through the compatibility mode as the devs blog said and selected win xp SP3, run in admin mode... Im at a loss.

Im sure that it is something simple tha i am missing or havent read yet, but could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

ok, so I tried that now, and it did a few other things.... status bar came up prepared a couple packages I think, prepared a kernel then went to the exploiting with Limera 1n, my phone rebooted there and program stuck. Phone is running normally no Cydia or anything...

I downloaded the IPSW from http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Firmware#iPhone_4_.28CDMA_model.29 and selected CDMA iPhone 4 ios 5.1... thats right, right? :)

Last edited:
You are having the same issue I did.

You will have to jailbreak with snowbreeze. I tried everything to get it to work with redsnow and wouldnt work. But with the help of some people on here I got snowbreeze to work.

Snowbreeze, redsnow... Sheesh. at least there isnt a Yellowsnow. :)

Ok, Looking for snowbreeze now....

Haha. YouTube it. It's very simple, trust me if I can do it, you can . Pretty much just download snowbreeze, start program, plug phone it, select which phone you have, download iOS 5.1 from snowbreeze program, it will ask you if you want to use the downloaded ios5.1 for the jailbreak, click yes, it does it's thing and your done. Then use the "ibooty" program to boot tethered and you are up and running(or atleast that's what I had to do)

Last edited:
ok, I am restoring to new factory fresh via iTunes right now... figured what could it hurt, who knows what fragments and such are left from the 50 times i have tried this so far... Then I will try this windy snow thing... :)

Sheesh there was a yellow snow? Im sure that got a couple laughs when it was released... :)

Ok, so I ran the reset through iTunes and then tried Redsn0w again. Specified the ipsw, clicked jailbreak, it prepared its stuff and loaded up. Phone screen changed to a pic of a hard disk and said loading jailbreak or something like that. ran for a bit, and then came up to a pineapple as it moved apps and did a couple other things... then the screen went black and a BUNCH of small white text started scrolling along...Redsn0w reported that it was finished but that I HAD to use the //extras/reboot option to reboot the device, but before I cold do that the phone rebooted itself. once it came up normally, i ppowered it back down and got it into DFU mode and tried the reboot option. it got stuck at the exploiting using limera 1n and the phone rebooted...

I have a new icon on my screen that is Cydia, but it is just a white icon and tapping it the screen flashes like it is trying to load it, but crashing... What did I do wrong? what will booting with out the tether active do/ just make the JB items not function?

Ninja edit.... Forgot to specify IPSW before using the reboot command... it be werking now!!

Side note, had a TRON moment when Cydia first loaded up... I said I was a "User"!!! yup, im a geek....

So you are up and running?

Yes I am. My next quest is to find the fabled "Semi Tethered" app so that if something happens when I am away from my phone i can still reboot...

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Yes I am. My next quest is to find the fabled "Semi Tethered" app so that if something happens when I am away from my phone i can still reboot...

Add the repo http://thebigboss.org/semitether in Cydia and then search for SemiTether and install it. That's all there is to it!