What's new

ccgreen

Reaction score
How do you do a hard reboot w/ touch ID on iphone 7. - Also, this was a great trick - and don't know how this works either:
To shut down all your open apps, you might know that you can double-click the iPhone's home button and swipe up on each one in the app switcher. For a shortcut (and a way to clear your phone's memory), try this: From your home screen, press and hold the power button until the "slide to power off" screen comes up. Then, let go of the power button and hold down the home button until your home screen pops back up. That's it! If you look at your app switcher, all your open apps are still there, but when you open each one, it will re-launch that app from scratch.

How do you do a hard reboot w/ touch ID on iphone 7. - Also, this was a great trick - and don't know how this works either:
To shut down all your open apps, you might know that you can double-click the iPhone's home button and swipe up on each one in the app switcher. For a shortcut (and a way to clear your phone's memory), try this: From your home screen, press and hold the power button until the "slide to power off" screen comes up. Then, let go of the power button and hold down the home button until your home screen pops back up. That's it! If you look at your app switcher, all your open apps are still there, but when you open each one, it will re-launch that app from scratch.
Clearing the cache is a waste of battery life and system resources and should not be performed unless necessary - the phone is just going to fill the cache up again as soon as it can, that's what the cache is for.

Force-closing apps is another thing that should not be performed unless necessary. Force-closing apps clears them from the memory and requires the phone to launch them from scratch the next time they are launched - this forces the phone to work harder and reduces battery life.

I'm not sure where you got those pieces of advice, but they don't help the system at all. Let the system take care of itself and you'll have less problems and more battery life. This isn't Android.

Please refer to This thread: iPhone Mythbusting! Let's separate the facts from the fiction.

Last edited:
A long time ago, clearing cache and closing apps was helpful. Apple advises that it no longer is the case unless, of course, the iPhone is not functioning properly. I will admit to doing it now and again, old habit. But it is still considered helpful to occasionally Power Down, I believe. I was told by a Genius, a few years ago, that this would take the place of the hard boot.

Power button + down volume button
Thank you - that worked; but, what I couldn't get to happen, by either holding the down volume button OR pressing home button was:
For a shortcut (and a way to clear your phone's memory), try this: From your home screen, press and hold the power button until the "slide to power off" screen comes up. Then, let go of the power button and hold down the home button until your home screen pops back up.
Any thoughts

Clearing the cache is a waste of battery life and system resources and should not be performed unless necessary - the phone is just going to fill the cache up again as soon as it can, that's what the cache is for.

Force-closing apps is another thing that should not be performed unless necessary. Force-closing apps clears them from the memory and requires the phone to launch them from scratch the next time they are launched - this forces the phone to work harder and reduces battery life.

I'm not sure where you got those pieces of advice, but they don't help the system at all. Let the system take care of itself and you'll have less problems and more battery life. This isn't Android.

Please refer to This thread: iPhone Mythbusting! Let's separate the facts from the fiction.
Thank you - makes sense.

A long time ago, clearing cache and closing apps was helpful. Apple advises that it no longer is the case unless, of course, the iPhone is not functioning properly. I will admit to doing it now and again, old habit. But it is still considered helpful to occasionally Power Down, I believe. I was told by a Genius, a few years ago, that this would take the place of the hard boot.
i was told by someone very knowledgeable at the Genius Bar, that powering off (iphone & ipad) is the most imp't thing to do on a regular basis. That was pre-iphone 6

If you are using apps that make use of GPS and have background app refresh turned on, they need closing down They will burn through the battery in no time. Otherwise, let the phone manage itself.

I always tell people to keep background app refresh off for third-party apps - manually refreshing an app only takes a second or two. Nothing is that vital that we absolutely need background app refresh always on. Either keep background app refresh off or don't complain about battery life - you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Thank you - that worked; but, what I couldn't get to happen, by either holding the down volume button OR pressing home button was:
For a shortcut (and a way to clear your phone's memory), try this: From your home screen, press and hold the power button until the "slide to power off" screen comes up. Then, let go of the power button and hold down the home button until your home screen pops back up.
Any thoughts
I wouldn't bother