What's new

Memory management

DaniManiPedi

Reaction score
So I'm new to Apple. One week now with an iPhone 5s. This is after 4 years of Android, and 4 years of Blackberry before that. So far I am impressed. Amazing battery life and so much of a cleaner interface. My question is this: how does iPhone handle memory/application management? If I double click the home button, I see every app I have ever used sitting there open. I have to manually slide them up off the screen to close them. Does it matter? Won't all those open apps adversely affect performance? On a side note, is it ever necessary to reboot an iPhone?

Recommend you read http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...lets-separate-facts-fiction-40230/#post210674 and the post after it. Hopefully that will answer a lot of what you are asking about.

Now for the short answers.
Very well.
Yes, it actually slows iOS and waste battery.
Not one bit.
Hardly ever. In fact I usually only reboot when testing or an app totally misbehaves. Which is rare.

Feel free to ask anything. Came from Android myself.

actually, all those apps running in the background does drag down your iPhone's response speed.
and they need battery power, too.

No they don't. Go read the detailed research I have already done on the subject matter as well as read up on how the Unix kernel does multitasking and application memory management. And there are ZERO APPLICATIONS available for the iPhone that help with this issue. They can not exist because the API calls needed are restricted to Apple only applications. And you can read Apple's SDK to confirm that fact.

Last edited by a moderator: