What's new

Question after selling phone on eBay

msmoser

Reaction score
Hi there,
I just sold a 3GS on eBay. It was AT&T, NOT jailbroken, in excellent shape and working fine. Before I sold it, I reset it. I am not sure that I had updated it to the latest operating system before I erased the data, but I thought that the person who bought it could update that when he connected it to iTunes.

The person I sold it to has been very unpleasant throughout the transaction. He was not happy with the cost to ship from the US to Russia (I insisted on delivery confirmation, etc. because he had negative feedback from another eBayer). Now, he is telling me that he wants me to return $35 to him, because he had to get Apple to do something to the phone. He told me that the phone was not connecting to iTunes, and that this was my fault because I didn't update the OS. My gut feeling is that he is trying to scam me because he feels he overpaid for shipping, but I want to make sure before I leave him negative feedback.

Here are my questions:

(1) Can't anyone update the OS in iTunes, even after the phone has been reset?
(2) Is this an issue with the phone being from the US and this guy being in Russia?
(3) Does Apple do ANYTHING for $35?
(4) Could this issue have happened because he tried to jailbreak the phone BEFORE he updated the OS?

Any help you could offer would be so appreciated!!
Michelle

(1) Can't anyone update the OS in iTunes, even after the phone has been reset?
Yes the iPhone iOS can be UPDATE via iTunes after the phone has been reset or restore, but only and only if the iOS version which is in the iPhone is INFERIOR to the latest iOS version available.

(2) Is this an issue with the phone being from the US and this guy being in Russia?
It couldn't be an issue since iTunes software is the same all over the world and from the same company which is Apple company. What can be done with the iphone using the iTunes in America can also be done with the same iPhone using iTunes in Russia and anywhere in the world provide provide there is a good and stable Internet connection

(3) Does Apple do ANYTHING for $35?
I don't understand you question very well. But yes there are a lot things Apple will love your $35 for. Examples: know apple sell some cables or earphones for about $35

(4) Could this issue have happened because he tried to jailbreak the phone BEFORE he updated the OS?
No the issue could never be caused because he tried to jailbreak before upgrade or update.

Last edited:
Thanks for you quick reply!

So, if I am understanding you, the buyer should be able to update the iOS with no trouble -- if a newer version is out since I last updated -- and the fact that I didn't update the iOS before resetting the phone should NOT be causing an issue with the phone connecting to iTunes?

My question about Apple was -- assuming there is a problem connecting the phone to iTunes that is software or hardware related. Would Apple fix it for only $35?

Thanks for you quick reply!

So, if I am understanding you, the buyer should be able to update the iOS with no trouble -- if a newer version is out since I last updated -- and the fact that I didn't update the iOS before resetting the phone should NOT be causing an issue with the phone connecting to iTunes?

My question about Apple was -- assuming there is a problem connecting the phone to iTunes that is software or hardware related. Would Apple fix it for only $35?

He should be able to update or upgrade or restore with no troubles, but there are conditions which need to be meet in other to successfully perform those tasks, conditions which are: get the latest iTunes, have a working USB cable, and do not disturb the computer while it's restoring or upgrading the iOS. These a common things which need to be observe for iTunes to work well and it's apply to all iPhone connected to iTunes for restores or upgrades. While he's restoring or upgrading the phone, iTunes might return some error messages, it's typical to iTunes and has nothing to with the iPhone from America to the other end of the earth.
About your worries not to have upgrade the phone before restoring shouldn't worry you. You wouldn't even be able to simply restore the iOS to the one which was on the phone if there was an upgrade available in iTunes. iTunes would have force you to upgrade to the latest iOS then, unless you were going to restore from a backup, then you can restore and pass by the latest iOS and iTunes wouldn't disturb you. So people restore iOS and not the upgrade and not the backup restore for sure, but when they are restoring their phone, it means that there is either no latest iOS than the one exist on the phone, or they tricking iTunes to believe that they are already on the latest iOS. So don't worry about not upgrading before restoring.
For that $35 I do not know how much apple would charge u for. One way to find out is to go see them and let them charge you according to what is going on wrong with the device.