What's new

3gs iphone won't go to sleep after incoming calls or text finished, stays on

jara8462

Reaction score
I gave my brother my 3gs iphone and he's having a problem. The phone won't go to sleep/shut off after an incoming call or text message. He has to manually end the connection before it will do so. This runs his battery down very quickly especially if he's unaware of an incoming contact and it stays on [the screen stays on too]. The phone has not been jail broken, has the latest updates, etc. I even went through restore to try and correct it, but to no avail. Has anyone had this type of problem? He recently had a person sending threatening text messages to him, and when he sent them a message he was going to contact the police and turn the messages over to them, he got another from them that started with 2 beeps and the words "how's that, huh?" All the text messages the person sent were deleted from his phone, but his replies were still there. Nothing else was affected on the phone, and that's when the phone started staying on when a call/message was received. That's why I backed his phone up, moved the backup files to another folder, and used an earlier backup, a long before the texter with the threats. I went through this this proceedure twice to be sure, but it still will not go to sleep mode as it should. Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated, and also I could not find a similar post anywhere on the forum.
Thanks,jara8462.

I would wipe the phone clean. And set it up as a new iPhone.
Don't back up any previous files due to problems inside the files.

Thank you Shadox, but that was not an option at that time. I was trying to recover the deleted messages on the phone and didn't want to screw anything up. I did recover 2 and my brother turned them in to the police. He lives over 100 miles from me, so I'll have to wait till I can go see him again to do it. Thanks for your suggestion.

Thank you Shadox, but that was not an option at that time. I was trying to recover the deleted messages on the phone and didn't want to screw anything up. I did recover 2 and my brother turned them in to the police. He lives over 100 miles from me, so I'll have to wait till I can go see him again to do it. Thanks for your suggestion.

Good luck and hope everything works out.

i'm having the same problem with my iphone4. mine tho is from text messages from non-iphone users. after sending or receiving messages to non-iphone users my phone won't go into standby mode. i haven't noticed this problem with phone calls at all. is anyone else having this problem?