What's new

PSA: iOS 6.0.1 UNTETHERED Jailbreak

Status
Not open for further replies.

willerz2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just got an update for iOS 6.1 beta 5. iOS 6.0.1/6.0.2/6.1 untethered will be postponed as of approximately 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

According to i0n1c and MuscleNerd, this release can potentially be a GM release. Still trying to get this one my phone to check.

Last edited:
My phone came with 6.0 and has NOT been upgraded to 6.0.1 or 6.0.2. Will I be able to use this or should I upgrade to 6.0.2 now before it's too late?

My phone came with 6.0 and has NOT been upgraded to 6.0.1 or 6.0.2. Will I be able to use this or should I upgrade to 6.0.2 now before it's too late?

Not specifics on 6.0.2 yet, but AFAICT it's another hotfix like 6.0.1 but only for the 5 and iPad Mini. Your best bet is to upgrade to 6.0.1 now just in case the re-restore feature does happen for the iPhone 5 and the iPad Mini like the 4S and iPad 2.

I guess that's the problem, my only choice to upgrade in itunes is for 6.0.2. Am I out of luck?

I guess I don't understand what "If your device came with iOS 6.0.1, restore it to a clean iOS 6.0.1 NOW in case the re-restore function hits the iPhone 5 and iPad Minis so you won't run into APTicket errors." means. I just received a replacement i5 today and it has 6.0.1 on it. I did a restore to get all my stuff back, but that's it. It's still on 6.0.1.

When an iOS is upgraded OTA through Settings.app or at the factory, the APTickets won't match, which is a problem for many iPhone 4S users that attempt to re-restore to iOS 5 again. If the APTickets don't match, you can't take advantage of it.

I am new to the iphone jailbreak game so please excuse my uneducated questions. I upgraded to 6.0.2 will this prevent me from using redsnow in order to JB?
and if so is there a way do downgrade to 6.0.1?

Downgrading isn't publicly supported yet. AFAICT, iOS 6.0.2 should be affected by the release of this jailbreak since it's a hotfix much like iOS 6.0.1.

Maybe I didn't explain my situation clearly I'm on 6.0 as it came from the factory. Everybody always said not to upgrade so I didn't when 6.0.1 came out, now my only upgrade option is 6.0.2 and evidently that's only good for 1 more day before 6.1 comes out. Should I leave it on 6.0 or upgrade to 6.0.2

Right now we're only assuming, since the Dev-Team hasn't released a list of any features to be added for the iPhone 5. IF the re-restore process is brought over to the iPhone 5, and say iOS 6.1 isn't untethered jailbreakable like iOS 5.1, and you somehow mess up your iPhone 5 and you're forced to restore to fix the problem. Your only option then, is to upgrade to the unjailbreakable iOS 6.1. iOS 6.0.1 and 6.0.2 are hotfixes, meaning you'll be using iOS 6.0 as a base (more specifically, every time you have to select an IPSW, it'll be iOS 6.0 for the device even though your device is 6.0.1 or 6.0.2). If you do not want to restore to iOS 6.1, and the re-restore exploit still exists, you'll need a working APTicket to re-restore, and you can only get that from a fresh manual self-done restore through iTunes.

So it really makes no difference if I stay on 6.0 or upgrade to 6.0.2?

That's up to you. If you're going to be a minimalist jailbreaker with very simple tweaks and such and nothing fancy, you shouldn't run into the point where you'd need to restore to fix a problem. But if you don't upgrade and that case does come around, you'll be forced to upgrade to a version that might not have a jailbreak.

Status
Not open for further replies.