What's new

Phone Battery

Someone just picked up the phone to hang it up! This is why I am loathe to go to the store ever. The 2-3 times I have been over there it was a total zoo.

ETA: I had to schedule an appointment on-line for Friday morning. I cannot get anyone to pick up the phone over there. I hope my old battery holds out until then. My expectation is they are going to have to order the battery since the phone is a 5s and thus "old."

Last edited:
Also you can try Batteries Plus if you have one near you. They replace batteries as well. Hopefully you can find a place that has the battery you need! I hate going to busy places myself!! Makes me get an anxiety attack!! Not good in big crowds. Try to stay away from places that are like this. Guess I would rather be in the woods or on the lake where it’s quiet!! Anyhow, good luck with the battery and hopefully you get it replaced!! Have a good day!!

Thanks, 933. There is such a store near here, but they are not an Apple authorised shop, unfortunately.

Last edited:
I can get free 12 month financing with Apple and Barclay, they do not have the 256GB left, and the 128GB is $665 before tax. I am not sure what to do right now.

I confirmed the Apple store has a battery in stock for my phone. I also found my old phone's receipt. I purchased it September 2014, so it had already been out for a year by then. It is the 64GB model. I have enjoyed this phone. It has been a good size for me overall, but it is becoming more and more difficult for me to read the screen as my eyesight is deteriorating at a pretty steady rate now.

Oh, well, I never heard anything about it, but I no longer watch the news or anything, so plenty of stuff happens that I never know about, but at my age, I am okay with that.

I have no idea if this is true or not, but a friend told me this morning that Apple intentionally did something via an iOS update to ruin batteries in older phones. That sound unreal. Anyone know anything about this??? Maybe that is what happened to my battery! :( What is in in for Apple to ruin someone's phone battery, other than to hopefully make people upgrade their phones? That sounds unethical to me. :mad:
That was affecting the iPhone 6 and newer, hence the $29 battery offer. Your iPhone was not affected by this.
Everyone I have spoken to so far said they cannot order the battery and have no more parts for the 5s. One store said they just stopped servicing the 5s about one month ago. My luck. :(

I am trying to reach the Apple store now to find out if they have my battery in stock. If not, hopefully they can order it. The store is in a very busy location. I hate to go over there without knowing something first, especially since my motor's battery is dying on me. It would be awful to become stranded.

The phone has been ringing and ringing and ringing, but no on is picking up. I know they opened more than half an hour ago.
I don’t know what country you are in, but in the US, Apple Stores do not answer the phone at all. The number you are calling may look local but it is transferred to their Service Dept which is presumably on PST. If you go to the Apple Support App, you can start the process to order and service your battery. In fact, they can test your battery online.

Yes, I discovered that I was being routed somewhere else even though I was dialling the local store. That was rather frustrating, but I am loathe to go to their store. I have only been there a couple of times, and each time it was a total zoo. The first time I had no idea that you should have a "reservation" to talk to someone at the "genius bar," and I ended up waiting about 1.5 hours. Never again.

No one at the Apple support number told me I could begin to order battery on-line or test it on-line, though. That is good to know, bear7962. Thanks!

Yes, I discovered that I was being routed somewhere else even though I was dialling the local store. That was rather frustrating, but I am loathe to go to their store. I have only been there a couple of times, and each time it was a total zoo. The first time I had no idea that you should have a "reservation" to talk to someone at the "genius bar," and I ended up waiting about 1.5 hours. Never again.

No one at the Apple support number told me I could begin to order battery on-line or test it on-line, though. That is good to know, bear7962. Thanks!
I was not referring you to the Apple Support # but to an actual app called Apple Support. That is how I got my battery tested and further, the support person who contacted me through what I initiated on the app, is the one who ordered the battery for me. My battery was from a special program but the one you will need to replace is also old and probably also requires a special order. Anyway, I used the app. ‎Apple Support Is the link.

Well, it looks like I upgraded my mobile in just enough time.... My 5s was 100% charged yesterday. I am sure of it. I never used it for anything, but this morning, the battery was critically low. I guess this is the end of my old friend. It has been a good mobile these last years. May it R.I.P. :(

You could get the battery replaced if you want to keep the phone as a backup. Shouldn’t cost much for a new battery for it. I believe cost is about $40 for a new battery to be installed. Check out Best Buy or if you have an apple store near you call them and see what it would cost to replace the battery. If there is nothing else wrong with the phone it would be well worth it to get the battery replaced. Keep it as a backup phone in case something ever happens to your new phone. Just some food for thought.

Yes, I looked into it once I realised the battery was not holding a charge very well anymore. Best Buy and other shops around here no longer service the 5s. Apple would replace the battery for $50+, but I am not sure I will do that at this moment. I need to think about it some more, but it is something worth thinking about. Thanks, 933. :)

Reactions: 933