What's new

Outlook Sync Problems

Bluesjam

Reaction score
I have iOS5 loaded on my iPhone 4. Everything seems to be working Ok but I can't get the Calendar to Sync in either direction. I have iCloud working but I can't get a new appointment to go either direction. Any tips?

Bluesjam said:
I have iOS5 loaded on my iPhone 4. Everything seems to be working Ok but I can't get the Calendar to Sync in either direction. I have iCloud working but I can't get a new appointment to go either direction. Any tips?

I'm guessing - i.e. don't know, as cloud backs up your calendars (you can choose which one in settings), and the fact Outlook is being phased out by M$ in favour if their cloud 'live', apples software will rely on syncing via cloud to apple devices.

how we will sync to other platforms has to be asked - and it's early days yet :).

If I sign on to iCloud and schedule an appointment on iCloud it puts it on my iPhone. If I schedule an appointment on my iPhone it puts it on icloud. No communication with my Outlook on my work computer.

Bluesjam said:
If I sign on to iCloud and schedule an appointment on iCloud it puts it on my iPhone. If I schedule an appointment on my iPhone it puts it on icloud. No communication with my Outlook on my work computer.

Is the work pc a MAC? Otherwise I don't think iCloud will 'talk' to it - but I'm no expert ;)

No ,it's a PC. If I can't sync with it I will not be able to use iCloud because my schedule is so appointment driven.

Your right on the iCloud Control Panel, but my problem is that my work computer has an old operating system and iCloud said that it had to be Vista or newer. So now I need a new computer for work. At home I have a new computer so tonight I'm going to download the control panel and sync with iCloud from it and see how it works. Didn't have time to do it last night as it took forever to upgrade my iPad.

Dave:

I wanted to thank you as well, and ask one further question. I set up the iCloud control panel on my PC to sync with Outlook for contacts and calendars. When I enter a calendar item on my iPad, its appears to sync fine, and shows up in my Outlook as well, but when I enter a calendar item from Outlook, it won't allow me to use the reminder function and it doesn't seem to be going to the cloud and isn't passing on to my iPad or iPhone. Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

In Outlook there should be a new separate iCloud calendar. Is it there? If it is then you need to make your changes on that calendar. By default Outlook will open its "default" calendar rather than the iCloud calendar so you need to select the iCloud calendar. It's a bit kludgey.

Geoff aka tyreless

Dave:

I wanted to thank you as well, and ask one further question. I set up the iCloud control panel on my PC to sync with Outlook for contacts and calendars. When I enter a calendar item on my iPad, its appears to sync fine, and shows up in my Outlook as well, but when I enter a calendar item from Outlook, it won't allow me to use the reminder function and it doesn't seem to be going to the cloud and isn't passing on to my iPad or iPhone. Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

I don't use the Outlook calendar on my phone, so I haven't cared to pursue it. However, I have seen what Geoff says about iCloud adding its own profile to my Outlook contacts, so I'm sure he's right about it doing the same in the calendar.

Everything was working fine when I used iTunes to sync my PC-based calendar to my iPad, but then I tried using iCloud, and now my iPad can't sync to my Outlook calendar. I downloaded iCloud Control Panel, and was able to get the iPad to sync with iCloud. But could not get the iPad or iCloud to sync with Outlook. I could even get the iCloud Calender to show up in Outlook, but I couldn't make changes in Outlook -- even in the iCloud Calendar to show up on either iCloud or the iPad. What can I do? Thanks.