What's new

original iphone

samch

Reaction score
Hi I bought a iphone originaL 2G when they first came out in the usa before they were available in the uk so it came to me jailbroken (so i could use a uk carrier), i never updated the phone for fear of losing the jailbreak and then later just upgraded my iphone for another model.so my question is can i upgrade the ios on it now after all this time(i know it wont support the latest upgrades) and re jailbreak it even though it's old hardware.at the moment my daughter has it but she can only make calls on it as there are no apps as the cydia app stopped working a long time ago.
if it's possible what jailbreak tool can I use ? I need to be able to unlock it so I can still use a uk carrier with it.
is it worth it or will most of the apps not work on it ? I will be giving her my currant iphone when the new iphone finally comes out but just wanted her to get a bit more use out of it as it gets left at home for her ipod touch
thanks in advance

i have jailbroken a iphone 4 and 3gs so know the process just need to know which one to use for the old 2g

Last edited:
It will be useless to upgrade the 2G and then jailbreak it, unless you are capable of loading 4X or something close to 4X into the 2G iPhone. Not only cydia apps and tweaks are no more available to for it, but also the app store applications get updates and I'm sure that most of those apps don't support iPhone 2G no more. I will advice to leave the phone that way and use it the way it is since you can't really get any recent apps or tweaks install on it. Also the pop unlock tool ultrasnow doesn't support iPhone 2G anymore. So if you happen to jailbreak it, you will not be able to unlock it using ultra snow, I don't know if other unlocking tools like gevey support the iPhone 2G, I guess not. Here is a screenshot of supported phones an baseband of ultrasnow:
7b7967a7-b261-7744.jpg

the 2g iphone does not use ultrasn0w to unlock you can just use redsn0w and it will unlock the phone as well or you can just unlock you dont have to jailbreak the iphone 2g in order to unlock it

thanks for the help, I think I will just leave it as it does not seem worth it if most of the apps are incompatible, will just wait for the new iphone to come out and hope it is not to long a wait :):iphone4vert:

good call,, new iphone could be as far as september but probably will be worth the wait