What's new

Newbie with ios 5.1

Kristin Hill

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just moved back from Japan, I have an iphone 4s. My contract is finished, but the phone is locked to Softbank.

I stopped upgrading at ios 5.1 because so many people were complaining after that. I'd like to use my phone in the states, but can't figure it out.

Is there any way to upgrade from 5.1 to 5.1.1? I don't know anything about it so I have no files or anything saved outside of normal iphone use.

Is there any way to get it jailbroken or unlocked? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello everyone. I just moved back from Japan, I have an iphone 4s. My contract is finished, but the phone is locked to Softbank.

I stopped upgrading at ios 5.1 because so many people were complaining after that. I'd like to use my phone in the states, but can't figure it out.

Is there any way to upgrade from 5.1 to 5.1.1? I don't know anything about it so I have no files or anything saved outside of normal iphone use.

Is there any way to get it jailbroken or unlocked? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Check the forum for jailbreaking...
Its right here so don't worry.

Plus the current version now is 6.1.4 ...
And am quite pleased with it...
Since your contract has ended i recommend you to jailbreak your iPhone or you can always unlock it too...
But JB is quite fun and always cool...

Plus the current version now is 6.1.4 ...
And am quite pleased with it...
Since your contract has ended i recommend you to jailbreak your iPhone or you can always unlock it too...
But JB is quite fun and always cool...

Wrong. 6.1.4 is iPhone 5 exclusive. All other devices are currently on 6.1.3.

Japan originating devices unfortunately cannot be unlocked at all. Softbank does not provide carrier unlocks nor does any other Japanese carrier. To put it simply, an iPhone from Japan is only usable in Japan. Jailbreaking does not allow for unlocking for the 4S, and there are no legal means of unlocking a Japanese locked device

G'day & welcome to the FoRuM!!!! :)

Thanks very much for the replies everyone. I had been coming to that same conclusion putting together all the info I was able to find here and elsewhere. Too bad! Well, thanks again :)