What's new

Newbie - Data use question

jennjean23

Reaction score
I just got my phone about a month ago, first iPhone ever. I have the 200mb data plan and like 2 weeks of having my phone I was told I went over my usage. My question is - I realize apps now run in the background, I primarily use my phone at home with wi-fi but if I have an app running that I forget is open and I leave my house, am I being charged for data on 3g even if running in background? If so thats the biggest rip off ever!

just use wifi if you have it, and also you can download an app called my wireless from at&t, and you can check how much data you have used and also your mins etc.

I just got my phone about a month ago, first iPhone ever. I have the 200mb data plan and like 2 weeks of having my phone I was told I went over my usage. My question is - I realize apps now run in the background, I primarily use my phone at home with wi-fi but if I have an app running that I forget is open and I leave my house, am I being charged for data on 3g even if running in background? If so thats the biggest rip off ever!

Sorry. Let me try that again.....if I leave an app running in the background (by mistake) and I leave a wi-fi area, am i being charged under my data plan if on 3G or EDGE, whats the diff anyway?

The best way to avoid this problem is to turn off the "Cellular Data". and turn it on whenever you actually want to use it. go to Settings > General > Network> Cellular Data. and turn it off.