What's new

Apps running in background

danijoh69

Reaction score
I am having an issue with AT&T re my wife's data usage on her iPhone 4. Her data usage is ALWAYS higher than mine & she doesn't use her phone anywhere near as I do mine! At home & at work she has wi-fi so it should not be using ANY data- but AT&T tech says iPhones constantly check for updates even if nothing is running on background I don't believe that!

I am having an issue with AT&T re my wife's data usage on her iPhone 4. Her data usage is ALWAYS higher than mine & she doesn't use her phone anywhere near as I do mine! At home & at work she has wi-fi so it should not be using ANY data- but AT&T tech says iPhones constantly check for updates even if nothing is running on background I don't believe that!

Ok, not believing won't change the fact that AT&T is right. Off the top of my head the following could be using data while the phone is not being used.

1) Notifications.
2) Email.
3) App store.

With that in mind, going to guess that email is the biggest issue. Check to see if the email accounts are set to pull instead of push. If it is, check the setting for how often email is pulled. Going to guess every 15 minutes is most likely.

I am having an issue with AT&T re my wife's data usage on her iPhone 4. Her data usage is ALWAYS higher than mine & she doesn't use her phone anywhere near as I do mine!

The issue here is not the amount of time spent on the phone, rather what she actually does on the phone. Suppose she streams a movie for 5 minutes on her phone. That will use up quite a bit more bandwidth than if you were to spend an hour editing a file in a text editor on your phone. The difference is that she only spent 5 minutes on her phone, while you spent an hour on yours, yet she is using bandwidth at a much higher rate than you are. My point is that, even though she is spending less time on her phone than you spend on yours, something is causing more bandwidth to be used on hers.

Last edited:
He's right you can adjust how often certain apps get to receive data. I would check settings/location services/"any app" just to see what apps are using location services. Depending on the amount of apps on the phone, if all of them are running location services this could cause you issues with data usage. I do believe too that if you change the apps in settings/notifications look at "In Notification Center" this will help with data also. All of the apps listed under "In Notification Center" are pulling data every ten maybe fifteen minutes (I am not sure on the time though) and this could cause data to run high.

I would really check the location services, and how may apps use this. Even if she was connected to a WiFi connection the phone would still use it's data plan to pull the exact location of the phone which is where she is at the time. I am an active user on Google+ so I keep my location services on to help promote small businesses. I have games on my phone that want to use location services, but why would a game like "Cogs" need to know where I am? So I turn it off, and I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Any other questions on this feel free to ask. Hope I was able to help you a little more.

Thanks for the replies so far! Let me supply more info. While at work wife does not use her iPhone-period! Yes, she has wi-fi access but does not use it. When she is home she mostly uses her iPad not phone. Am going to have her check notifications, et al other stuff tonite.

danijoh69 said:
Thanks for the replies so far! Let me supply more info. While at work wife does not use her iPhone-period! Yes, she has wi-fi access but does not use it. When she is home she mostly uses her iPad not phone. Am going to have her check notifications, et al other stuff tonite.

why dont u simply turn off the mobile data then.. :/

Go to

Settings > General > Mobile Data >>> turn off mobile data....

Why have an iPhone at that point? Turning off mobile data isn't a solution.

Agreed. Something is happening on that phone and the user needs to find and correct the problem. My iPhone 4S battery is lasting me more than a day with moderate use.. and that's with mobile data, wifi and bluetooth all turned on. It sounds to me like there is an app that is constantly poling a server for data. I would recommend uninstalling third-party apps until the culprit is found.

Skull One said:
Why have an iPhone at that point? Turning off mobile data isn't a solution.

the OP said "They dont use iPhone n even if they do they do it on WIFI"
so i guess yeah... turning off data would be best...!!!

the OP said "They dont use iPhone n even if they do they do it on WIFI"
so i guess yeah... turning off data would be best...!!!

I don't think you understand the ramifications to turning cellular data off on an iPhone with no WiFi around. The short answer, you have a very very expensive dumb phone that can't even do MMS. Suggest you do some research before you continue with that line of thought.

Skull One said:
I don't think you understand the ramifications to turning cellular data off on an iPhone with no WiFi around. The short answer, you have a very very expensive dumb phone that can't even do MMS. Suggest you do some research before you continue with that line of thought.

my suggestion is for OP only.... regarding their circumstances.... as they've clearly mentioned 'They Don't Use iPhone' period...!!!

my suggestion is for OP only.... regarding their circumstances.... as they've clearly mentioned 'They Don't Use iPhone' period...!!!

That is not what the OP stated.

Yes, she has wi-fi access but does not use it.

That means the she has chosen not to use the WiFi access provided. Not that she doesn't want to use the phone.

n its not like i'm giving some sort of commandment... he can choose to pick whatever suits him best...
as for you pointing other people thoughts...
forums are suppose to be for pooling random thoughts not critisizing negatively....!!!
peace!

That is not what the OP stated..

Not to nit pick, but in post 5 the OP clearly states "While at work wife does not use her iPhone period!"
While in post 1 they say "At home and work she has wi fi so it should not be using ANY data...etc"
Means to me (and Ashon I guess) that she just dose not use her phone at work so whether data is on or off would not make any difference to her.