What's new

New to iphone

The restriction they have on home screen icons really is baffling! Is it really THAT big of a deal to let people put stuff where they want?

That's probably my biggest gripe with the iPhone. I can manage with the other stuff ... I think LOL

Back button, the ability to stick apps / icons anywhere, volume controls, widgets and status bar stuff like temp are what I really miss in iOS.

Reachability is really nice on iOS though.
Just in case, did you know that many things have a back button or at least the IOS version, it will appear at the top left when available. Also, icons and apps can be moved pretty much everywhere, press until they wiggle then move. The volume controls on the side of the iPhone know which function you wish to affect, adjust while using that function, widget are available in Notification Center and I have an app that adds more. Hope that is helpful to you.

I've had mine for nearly 3 weeks now and love it more every day. The only thing I miss about my Note 4 is the back button, but I'm missing that less each day. I am finding that resolution is far more than just the number of pixels, if you just look at the specs you would expect the Note to have a better screen, but in reality the iPhone screen is much clearer and brighter especially in the car, I only use it there when I am a passenger.

Another thing is the Wifi calling works much better and also keeps the battery from discharging as fast, with the Note the Wifi calling worked well but the phone was still continuously searching for phone signal which ran the battery down pretty quickly. I would have to charge the Note every night without fail, with the iPhone if don't use it a lot I only need to charge it every other night, and that is at about 63% left. This is with Bluetooth left on, with the Note I would turn the Bluetooth on when I was heading out to the car and back off as soon as I came back in the door.

The camera also is noticeably better even with 4 fewer mpx, add the ability to shoot RAW and in camera HDR using Lightroom and there is no contest. I'll not be going back to Android. I admit that I didn't root my Android phone or find a need to do so the limited ability to personalize really isn't a problem for me, but I can understand how it could be for others.
The total integration with my iMac and iPads are just icing on the cake for me, being able to answer the phone anywhere in the house from iPad or iMac is great.
I copy/paste recipes I find online in Notes and can access those anywhere as well, another bonus. :)

I've had mine for nearly 3 weeks now and love it more every day. The only thing I miss about my Note 4 is the back button, but I'm missing that less each day. I am finding that resolution is far more than just the number of pixels, if you just look at the specs you would expect the Note to have a better screen, but in reality the iPhone screen is much clearer and brighter especially in the car, I only use it there when I am a passenger.

Another thing is the Wifi calling works much better and also keeps the battery from discharging as fast, with the Note the Wifi calling worked well but the phone was still continuously searching for phone signal which ran the battery down pretty quickly. I would have to charge the Note every night without fail, with the iPhone if don't use it a lot I only need to charge it every other night, and that is at about 63% left. This is with Bluetooth left on, with the Note I would turn the Bluetooth on when I was heading out to the car and back off as soon as I came back in the door.

The camera also is noticeably better even with 4 fewer mpx, add the ability to shoot RAW and in camera HDR using Lightroom and there is no contest. I'll not be going back to Android. I admit that I didn't root my Android phone or find a need to do so the limited ability to personalize really isn't a problem for me, but I can understand how it could be for others.
The total integration with my iMac and iPads are just icing on the cake for me, being able to answer the phone anywhere in the house from iPad or iMac is great.
I copy/paste recipes I find online in Notes and can access those anywhere as well, another bonus. :)

Congrats on your new iPhone. There is somewhat of a back button when moving between apps. Example: I tapped on a link in Mail. It took me to Safari. There's a back button in the top left corner to take me back to Mail.
IMG_1893.JPG

Congrats on your new iPhone. There is somewhat of a back button when moving between apps. Example: I tapped on a link in Mail. It took me to Safari. There's a back button in the top left corner to take me back to Mail.
View attachment 31514

Yes there is...but really it's in the worst possible place and to top it off it's so small it's barely usable.

But yes we do have a Back button ;)

View attachment 31514
Thank you, yes I did know about that.
One thing I really thought I would miss was the S Pen, I had heard about 3D touch but didnt' really know what it was. I am a digital artist and while most of my artwork is done on either the iMac using a Wacom tablet and stylus, or on the iPad Pro with Apple Pencil, from time to time I would like to sketch a bit. Pressure sensitivity is a must as far as I'm concerned but decided I could always take one of my iPads with me, well I discovered that my Adonit Pixel stylus works perfectly in Procreate Pocket on the iPhone, compete with pressure sensitivity.

That was my whole reason for getting a Note phone in the first place and now iPhone has it as well, I don't think too many people know that, I don't know how many stylus' work with pressure or with how many apps, but Adonit Pixel and Procreate Pocket both do. :)

So, I did a Siri vs Google Assistant "challenge" and Siri stupid!! LOL

Ask Siri to spell the word 'apostrophe' and see what happens. Then, if you have access to a Google device, ask the same. Google will actually give you the spelling whist Siri stumbles! Same with practically all punctuation words.

Also, Siri seems to stumble mightily with relationship contacts. If your son's name is Tim and you happen to have several other Tims in you contacts, good luck LOL

Last edited:
I haven't been on iOS in about 6yrs, for some reason I decided to take the plunge back into the Apple universe. I'm looking at moving all the info from my Samsung Galaxy S7 edge to the 7 plus, suggestions?

Thanks

I haven't been on iOS in about 6yrs, for some reason I decided to take the plunge back into the Apple universe. I'm looking at moving all the info from my Samsung Galaxy S7 edge to the 7 plus, suggestions?

Thanks

Samsung Switch is great! Used it to transfer over my call log and text messages ... but it'll transfer a lot more then just those two items. I still use it from time to time to keep my S7 up to date

I am back with Android now, Galaxy S7 edge, and I feel more at home; however, I have realized just how much snappier the iPhone was! Feels like this phone is so slow compared to the iPhone 7 plus. I am missing that part of iOS.

I am back with Android now, Galaxy S7 edge, and I feel more at home; however, I have realized just how much snappier the iPhone was! Feels like this phone is so slow compared to the iPhone 7 plus. I am missing that part of iOS.

I know how you feel. I got my first iOS device a few months back (also a 7+) but had Android "withdrawals". Sold the 7+ and grabbed an S7 .... loved it and it definitely felt more comfortable, but after a while found myself missing certain things from iPhone. So, now I'm back with a 7+ again LOL

We need a hybrid device

Thanks
Welcome to iPhoneForums!

Apple has a site with instructions that helps moving everything you need to iOS:
Move from Android to iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Hope that helps.

Thanks
Apple has an app in Google Play called Move to iOS that will help you move content from your Android phone to an iPhone. Here's the Apple support page with tha download link for the app. iPhone - Switch to iPhone - Apple (CA)