What's new

New to iPhone and am trying learn "How it all works" - So far I feel limited

I really feel your pain about the simple settings. All I wanted was to have the option of my ringer on loud and putting everything else on vibrate in the silent setting.

Alternatively I would have settled for putting the phone on loud and putting everything except the ringer on vibrate in the loud setting but there is no way to kill the sent text sound and you can't set custom vibrations so that didn't work either.

There's no app for me either. We just have to wait for the jailbreak...

I really feel your pain about the simple settings. All I wanted was to have the option of my ringer on loud and putting everything else on vibrate in the silent setting.

Alternatively I would have settled for putting the phone on loud and putting everything except the ringer on vibrate in the loud setting but there is no way to kill the sent text sound and you can't set custom vibrations so that didn't work either.

There's no app for me either. We just have to wait for the jailbreak...
I think I'm starting to get the hang of the iPhone way. Apple creates a very powerful device, then puts an electronic condom over it to protect from virus's. If you want a better experience, you need to remove the condom. This is called jailbreaking.

I think I'm starting to get the hang of the iPhone way. Apple creates a very powerful device, then puts an electronic condom over it to protect from virus's. If you want a better experience, you need to remove the condom. This is called jailbreaking.

A better term is "sand boxing". Lmao!!

I understand and agree, ShadySprings. Some little things like that have annoyed me for many years. I got my first Mac in 1989 and learned to live without a forward delete key. It is all much clearer now after reading the recently released biography "Steve Jobs". His intense need to control the whole experience of Apple products has led to many wonderful products with a few small excessive controls. Could control of timed sound controls or settings profiles be due to worry about being sued because the phone didn't ring when the emergency call came? Or just because Steve couldn't imagine anyone wanting to silence HIS iPhone?

I bought my first iPhone on ebay yesterday, a used 3GS - unlocked and jailbroken. I won't be able to talk to Siri but I'm pleased to learn that I can make it silent at night automatically when I forget to turn it off.

Last edited: