What's new

New to iPhone and am trying learn "How it all works" - So far I feel limited

ShadySprings

Reaction score
I've had numerous iPods, iPod Touches, and finally left Blackberry for a iPhone 4S. I really love apps like find my iphone, the camera is amazing, and it all works with my companies enterprise server.

Here's what is really ticking me off and I'm not sure if I just am missing something? or this is for real.
I want to simply have my iPhone mute from 8am-5pm everyday when I'm at work. Every app that can do this needs to be on a jailbroken phone
I want the front facing camera to take a picture and email to me when a password is entered incorrectly, again, needs to be jailbroken.

If i jailbreak phone, I heard that iCloud doesn't work.

So is all this accurate? I can't get a very simple app that controls sounds on a schedule without jailbreaking?

Any advise out there? I dont want to flip the mute switch nor do I want to plug something in. Just a simple app that does this with software.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct about the fact that you need to JB the iPhone to be able to have those features. JB doesn't affect iCloud at all, that is a wrong info. So now you know what to do if you need those features.

First off, welcome to iPF.net!! As far as the 4S goes... there isn't a Jailbreak available for it as of yet. With that said we can answer your question for when a Jailbreak is available. The iCloud service DOES work on a Jailbroke iPhone. You are correct when saying that you need a Jailbreak to more freely control the sounds from your iDevice. However, something as simple as needing the phone to be silent between 8-5 is really just that... simple. You say that you don't want to flip a mute switch or plug something in. Allow me to ask you a question... how do you intend on charging your phone if you wish to not plug it in? I assure you I'm not trying to be rude... just merely stating that you're asking for your phone to perform the absolutely most simple task there is to perform.

No you can't find AppStore apps like this. Why you ask?
Because it'd require changes in the way Apple programmed the OS and that's not allowed in their App making guidelines.

Jailbreaking, or the Android OS would be your best options. If these type of Apps mean that much to you.

Apple makes these guidelines to prevent fragmentation, poor OS operation, and simply because this is the way they've done it since the AppStore opened.

Like Apple says, "It just works." :D

First off, welcome to iPF.net!! As far as the 4S goes... there isn't a Jailbreak available for it as of yet. With that said we can answer your question for when a Jailbreak is available. The iCloud service DOES work on a Jailbroke iPhone. You are correct when saying that you need a Jailbreak to more freely control the sounds from your iDevice. However, something as simple as needing the phone to be silent between 8-5 is really just that... simple. You say that you don't want to flip a mute switch or plug something in. Allow me to ask you a question... how do you intend on charging your phone if you wish to not plug it in? I assure you I'm not trying to be rude... just merely stating that you're asking for your phone to perform the absolutely most simple task there is to perform.
Thanks for the reply. It's a very simple daily routine that should be able to be automated with a simple app. I'm actually quite amazed that of 10 million apps, not one can mute the phone on a schedule or take a picture automatically. The 4S can take pictures that rival my Canon 60D, but yet can't put ringtones on a schedule.
I hope you understand where I'm coming from. I'm just very confused why these small tasks can't be done when there are features 100 times more complex built in.

Telling me to flip a switch everyday is like telling you to get rid of your alarm clock and get a wind up cooking timer to wake you up.

Again, I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to understand the Apple culture and why it feels very controlled ( at least to me so far )

ShadySprings said:
Thanks for the reply. It's a very simple daily routine that should be able to be automated with a simple app. I'm actually quite amazed that of 10 million apps, not one can mute the phone on a schedule or take a picture automatically. The 4S can take pictures that rival my Canon 60D, but yet can't put ringtones on a schedule.
I hope you understand where I'm coming from. I'm just very confused why these small tasks can't be done when there are features 100 times more complex built in.

Telling me to flip a switch everyday is like telling you to get rid of your alarm clock and get a wind up cooking timer to wake you up.

Again, I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to understand the Apple culture and why it feels very controlled ( at least to me so far )

Flipping the switch is literally a two second task (at most). :p! Lol!

Like i said, it'd involve tweaking core code in the OS and it's not allowed per Apples Dev. Guidelines.

No you can't find AppStore apps like this. Why you ask?
Because it'd require changes in the way Apple programmed the OS and that's not allowed in their App making guidelines.

Jailbreaking, or the Android OS would be your best options. If these type of Apps mean that much to you.

Apple makes these guidelines to prevent fragmentation, poor OS operation, and simply because this is the way they've done it since the AppStore opened.

Like Apple says, "It just works." :D
Understood, but an automated mute function will cause fragmentation and poor OS operation? Come on. I realize that i can go to other phones but that's not the point. I think the 4S is a great phone (device) and simply am investigating if I can find a way to make it do something that is simple and basic to pretty much every other device out there.

Thanks for the reply. It's a very simple daily routine that should be able to be automated with a simple app. I'm actually quite amazed that of 10 million apps, not one can mute the phone on a schedule or take a picture automatically. The 4S can take pictures that rival my Canon 60D, but yet can't put ringtones on a schedule.I hope you understand where I'm coming from. I'm just very confused why these small tasks can't be done when there are features 100 times more complex built in.Telling me to flip a switch everyday is like telling you to get rid of your alarm clock and get a wind up cooking timer to wake you up. Again, I'm not trying to be rude, just trying to understand the Apple culture and why it feels very controlled ( at least to me so far )
Don't get me wrong... I understand completely where you're coming from in regards to Apple's "controlling" mentality. At the same time, though, I simply don't understand how flipping a switch in any way compares to using a cooking timer instead of an alarm clock.

Flipping the switch is literally a two second task (at most). :p! Lol!

Like i said, it'd involve tweaking core code in the OS and it's not allowed per Apples Dev. Guidelines.
Point taken. When Android comes out with a phone that lasts more then 4 hours in a charge, I'll go look at that :)

But seriously, are you just messing with me on flipping a switch? You think I'm crazy because I want to automate simple tasks?

Don't get me wrong... I understand completely where you're coming from in regards to Apple's "controlling" mentality. At the same time, though, I simply don't understand how flipping a switch in any way compares to using a cooking timer instead of an alarm clock.
I got my answer so i don't want to insight (sp?) anything here. I'm glad to hear that you understand how I feel about the controlling thing. I just don't know enough about Apple's OS to undertand what can and can't be done. can I tell Siri to remember to mute for me? :)

But seriously, are you just messing with me on flipping a switch? You think I'm crazy because I want to automate simple tasks?
LOL... I never said you were crazy. I do, however, think it's a bit indolent to not just flip the mute switch twice a day. :)

ShadySprings said:
Point taken. When Android comes out with a phone that lasts more then 4 hours in a charge, I'll go look at that :)

I never said your crazy. I'm just trying to get this point across. You mention it being a simple task. Well look at it this way. Someone develops this app and lets say their programming skills are less than good. Well you can install the app and it could do harm to your device/data. While I know there is more than capable devs out there that can program such an app, it's just against Apples rules.

Apple doesn't want devs to change the core OS in any shape, form, or fashion. This keeps the OS at optimal stability. This prevents the widespread fragmentation, and the 4 hour battery life you mentioned like on competing OS's.

It just works. Lol.

Thanks for feedback. Well, whatever Apple's doing works, iPhone even with what I think are flaws is still the nicest piece of technology that exists today.
So switching gears. Jailbreaking. I'm sure there are millions of threads and opinions on this. It sounds like I'm going to need to JB my 4S when that becomes available to get out of the 4S what I am hoping for.

Can someone tell me or point me to the best thread that discusses the pros and cons. My concern is what am I really doing? Voiding warranty? is there any downside to JB? I thought iCloud doesn't work but now I understand it really still does.

Thanks for feedback. Well, whatever Apple's doing works, iPhone even with what I think are flaws is still the nicest piece of technology that exists today.
So switching gears. Jailbreaking. I'm sure there are millions of threads and opinions on this. It sounds like I'm going to need to JB my 4S when that becomes available to get out of the 4S what I am hoping for.

Can someone tell me or point me to the best thread that discusses the pros and cons. My concern is what am I really doing? Voiding warranty? is there any downside to JB? I thought iCloud doesn't work but now I understand it really still does.

This is the best thread to keep track of.
http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-jailbreaking-17/jailbreaking-methods-iphone-18519/

It's always updated with jailbreak info immediately.

Cons: None. A jailbreak is always reversible.

Warranty: If you have an issue you must see an Apple genius about, just return your phone to factory settings. They won't know it was jailbroken.

iCloud: Your correct. It does work and I've tested it myself. :)!

This is the best thread to keep track of.
http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-jailbreaking-17/jailbreaking-methods-iphone-18519/

It's always updated with jailbreak info immediately.

Cons: None. A jailbreak is always reversible.

Warranty: If you have an issue you must see an Apple genius about, just return your phone to factory settings. They won't know it was jailbroken.

iCloud: Your correct. It does work and I've tested it myself. :)!
Thanks Darkstar - any idea when 4S JB is coming?