What's new

New iPhone 4 for wife's b-day

jacksnife

Reaction score
Hi, I picked my wife up a 2nd hand iPhone4 for her b-day (next Monday). I turned it on and got to a screen that said hook to iTunes.

My goal is to somehow replace her existing iPhone in the middle of the night with this new one. She uses it as an alarm. I would like to figure out how to make it play Happy Birthday in place of her alarm. Is this even possible without a SIM card installed? I know nothing about iphones, but regularly hack the hell out of my windows mobile. If it's only slightly technical I can handle it (maybe).

I would also like to make certain there is absolutely nothing on this phone from the previous owner. Is there a quick reformat or something?

Thanks in advance!

You will need a new micro sim to even activate it. Once you activate the old sim/phone will deactivate. As far as playing happybirthday you would just need a ringtone and set it to use the happybday one.

Yes, you can reset the iPhone 4. Go to Settings/General/Reset. You can reset all settings or select specific setting.

You don't need a SIM card or activate the phone to use the alarm feature. Go to Utilities/Clock and select Alarm. Add an alarm and change the sound to your list of ringtones. Before you do that, you should look for a happy birthday song on the web and convert it to a ringtone using iTunes.

i believe if you go to att and explain what your trying to do, they will give you a sim card for free, they have done it for me in the past

Yes, you can reset the iPhone 4. Go to Settings/General/Reset. You can reset all settings or select specific setting.

You don't need a SIM card or activate the phone to use the alarm feature. Go to Utilities/Clock and select Alarm. Add an alarm and change the sound to your list of ringtones. Before you do that, you should look for a happy birthday song on the web and convert it to a ringtone using iTunes.

When the phone is showing plug in to iTunes It has to be activated before you can even get to the home screen.

When the phone is showing plug in to iTunes It has to be activated before you can even get to the home screen.

Mine didn't say that. I was able to get to the home screen but without service until I went to iTunes and activated it.

That's really odd... Never heard of a new phone that was already past the activation screen.