What's new

Need help in doing a clean restore on a used JB iphone 4s

mpetruzz

Reaction score
I bought a used iPhone that was already jailbroken. I'd like to update to 5.1.1 but since I didn't originally sync this phone to my iTunes account will a restore still work??

I did have a 4s a few months back that was new and I did sync it to my account. Can I just use that backup info from that phone to do a clean restore? If I remember correctly itunes will ask you which restore point you want to use.

I'm just trying to figure out how to update to 5.1.1 without bricking.

You can restore any iPhone with iTunes on any computer, it doesn't matter what computer you have synced the phone with in the past.

So if I have a backup of 5.0.1 from a previous iPhone on my laptop I can use that to restore and install 5.1.1 on my new, different iPhone?

I tried to restore my last JB iPhone when I had a few issues and it wouldn't work.

Yes. Just restore that phone and when offered the voice from iTunes, select to restore from backup. Pick the old backup and you'll be good to go.

May I suggest: When doing the restore, start with the phone in DFU mode. It usually gives better results if you restore a JB'd phone from DFU mode. Just a suggestion...

Marilyn

I just went into my iTunes account and right clicked on my phone and pressed restore. It gave me a listing of 6 or so backups. Some had time and date. I'm pretty sure those were all made on a 5.0.1 phone so would I be good to use any of those? Is there a way to check to see what ios version the backup has.

Should I put the phone in DFU mode prior to connecting it to my laptop or should I connect it then shut it off, DFU mode?