What's new

Need help with JB

SkeeterHawk

Reaction score
OK, I'm new to JBing, so bear with me. I have a non-JBed VZ iPhone 4 that currently has ios 4.2.7 on it. I have downloaded but not installed 4.2.8. I've tried reading everything I could before I started and have tried to JB once. I'm using sn0wbreeze 2.6.1 on a Win 7 64-bit computer and I downloaded the 4.2.7 ios. It came with a zip extension and I changed it to ipsw. I ran sn0wbreeze as admin and it verified the ios and created the JBed ios on my desktop. I put the phone into DFU mode (at least thats what it told me) and then used shift-restore in iTunes, pointed to the JBed ipsw on the desktop and it started extracting the files. When it got to the section about verifing the software with aApple, it then stopped and said it could not continue. There was an error number but I failed to write it down. At first I couldn't get the phone to turn on, so I tired the standard restore in iTunes and got the same error message above. I finally got the phone to turn on after holding down the home and power keys and I'm back to normal.

Several questions:

1. Should I update to 4.2.8 before trying this or should it work with 4.2.7?

2. Related to # 1, I read that I should use Tiny Umbrella to save my SHSH blobs before JBing. Downloaded and tried it, but it didn't seem to save anything. Will it only work with the current version of ios that Apple has signed?

3. Any ideas why my JB attempt didn't work?

Thanks for listening.

Apple don't sign 4.2.7 anymore, and unless you don't have SHSH for that firmware you can't install it. Lesson here is to save SHSH every time a new firmware version comes out. Use tinyumbrella or iSHSHit once you jailbreak.

To jailbreak do what you done, only use sn0wbreeze 2.7.1 and iOS 4.2.8.