What's new

Maybe an obvious answer to my stupid question...

marcosegarcia

Reaction score
I have a Verizon iPhone running 4.2.10 (8E600) I previously had it jailbroken and I accidentally updated the software in iTunes and want to jailbreak it again, what I want to know is 4.2.10 the same as 4.2.1?

You will only be able to do tethered jailbreak unless you had saved the shsh blobs so you can downgrade to 4.2.8

No they are not the same. 4.2.10 is the newest firmware for CDMA iPhones and 4.2.1 is an old firmware for GSM iPhones. There are no jailbreaks for 4.2.10 so unless you have your 4.2.8 SHSH saved like iFrog said then you are stuck and cannot jailbreak for now.

Ok cool thanks just needed to know guess I'll just have to wait

Didn't you save your SHSH blob's when you did the jailbreak?? Like the others said, you can downgrade it back to the old software and re-jailbreak it.

when you login to cydia look across the top of your screen. If you saved them they will be listed there. Now just because you don't first see them doesn't mean there not there. Go to Tiny Umbrella and Go under advanced option and check off all the tic boxes. Now go back out and see if you see them listed. If you don't see them now. Your gonna have to wait. It sucks. You'll learn how this works just hang in therer, The best way to learn is through your mistakes. I have made many of them. When I first start red jail breaking I would restore my iphone 4 or 5 times a day. I know i weas a mess

Last edited:
Since you're on 4.2.10 you won't be able to check Cydia for your saved SHSHs, but instead you can download the latest version of TinyUmbrella from The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella and then connect your device to your computer and highlight it in the left pane. Go to the advanced tab and check the "Request SHSH from Cydia" box if it isn't already. Then click "Save SHSH" at the top.

All your available SHSHs will show up under the "general" tab. If you have 4.2.8 saved you can downgrade and do an untethered jailbreak with JBME

when you login to cydia look across the top of your screen. If you saved them they will be listed there. Now just because you don't first see them doesn't mean there not there. Go to Tiny Umbrella and Go under advanced option and check off all the tic boxes. Now go back out and see if you see them listed. If you don't see them now. Your gonna have to wait. It sucks. You'll learn how this works just hang in therer, The best way to learn is through your mistakes. I have made many of them. When I first start red jail breaking I would restore my iphone 4 or 5 times a day. I know i weas a mess

Since you're on 4.2.10 you won't be able to check Cydia for your saved SHSHs, but instead you can download the latest version of TinyUmbrella from The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella and then connect your device to your computer and highlight it in the left pane. Go to the advanced tab and check the "Request SHSH from Cydia" box if it isn't already. Then click "Save SHSH" at the top.

All your available SHSHs will show up under the "general" tab. If you have 4.2.8 saved you can downgrade and do an untethered jailbreak with JBME

I downloaded the untether jailbreak that was offered in Cydia and thats what *moderated* with my phone the first time it wouldn't power on so I connected to the computer and it allowed me to put it in DFU mode and then I went to restore the jailbreak ipsw and accidently restored it to 4.2.10 because I'm a moron and for got to push the shift key and load it. So as of now I think I'm screwed unless for sure Tiny Umbrella can save my ass. But either way I didn't save my SHSH Blob's to begin with. :/

Last edited by a moderator:
If you were jailbroken before it is quite possible that Cydia automatically saved your SHSH without you even knowing. Might as well download TinyUmbrella to check.

If you were jailbroken before it is quite possible that Cydia automatically saved your SHSH without you even knowing. Might as well download TinyUmbrella to check.

I downloaded Tiny Umbrella, where do I check? Sorry i'm stll a novice at this. Don't mean to be a pain.

I can not make sure my 4.2.8 shsh blobs are saved. Cydia says 4.2.10 at top but on the bottom says I am I Phone 4 CDMA IOS 4.2.8 Cydia 1.1.2. Am i protected or not. Downloaded tiny umbrella and connected my device. Under General tab says 4.2.10 saved SHSH at top then some 5.0b1 5.0b2 and 5.0b3. My tss server is not running> When i run it nothing happens. What boxes need to be checked under advanced tab. Since i love the jailbreak want to make sure it is not lost by accident. Who can explain tiny umbrella correct operation to save blobs or is it to late for me??

No carbrad, you are not protected, like I said in the other thread you need to dump your 4.2.8 SHSH using iFaith in order to be protected. Apple isn't signing 4.2.8 anymore so you can't save it with TinyUmbrella.

marcosegarcia open TinyUmbrella and go to the "advanced" tab and make sure "request SHSH from Cydia" is checked. Then highlight your phone in the left pane and then click "Save SHSH" if Cydia automatically backed up your SHSH it will be under "Saved SHSHs" under the "General" tab.