What's new

iPhone 4 restore question

lennie paz

Reaction score
My greenpois0n jailbroken iPhone 4 was acting strange for the past couple weeks so I did a restore. I was previously on firmware 4.3.1 but I noticed after the restore, I am now on 4.2.10? I thought you couldn't downgrade? Anyhow, iTunes is saying that 4.2.10 is the latest firmware when I click on check for update. I am on Verizon and want to jailbreak the iPhone again. What is my best bet, upgrade to 4.3.1 and use greenpois0n? How do I get to 4.3.1 if iTunes is saying 4.2.10 is the latest?

If you're on 4.2.10 now the there's no way you were on 4.3.1 before. 4.3.1 is for GSM iPhones only and 4.2.10 is for CDMA iPhones only. If you are on 4.2.10 that means you have a Verizon iPhone(CDMA) so yes, 4.2.10 is the most current for that phone.

Your only option is to do a tethered jailbreak using Redsn0w 0.9.8b7b

Jmills87 said:
If you're on 4.2.10 now the there's no way you were on 4.3.1 before. 4.3.1 is for GSM iPhones only and 4.2.10 is for CDMA iPhones only. If you are on 4.2.10 that means you have a Verizon iPhone(CDMA) so yes, 4.2.10 is the most current for that phone.

Your only option is to do a tethered jailbreak using Redsn0w 0.9.8b7b

+1...

I'm not going to sit here and argue with you guys, but I'm telling you, I was on 4.3.1 before I did the restore. I used the greenpois0n jailbreak for 4.3.1 and all I did was hook my phone to the pc and double click the greenpois0n icon and followed the instructions.

You are mistaken. It is physically impossible for a CDMA iPhone to run ANY 4.3 firmware. You were probably on 4.2.6 since that is the only CDMA firmware compatible with greenpois0n.

You are mistaken. It is physically impossible for a CDMA iPhone to run ANY 4.3 firmware. You were probably on 4.2.6 since that is the only CDMA firmware compatible with greenpois0n.

Does greenpois0n make the phone show as 4.3.1 in the about menu? I am 5,000% sure my phone said 4.3.1 as the version because I made sure I wrote it down before I did the restore.

It's not possible to run 4.3.1 on a CDMA iPhone, end of story.

Also, Greenpois0n is not compatible with any 4.3.x firmwares, further disproving your claim.

Last edited:
Jmills87 said:

Also, Greenpois0n is not compatible with any 4.3.x firmwares, further disproving your claim.

Jmills87 is right. Believe him.

Also, the phone is still acting up so I am returning it to the Apple Store. Which firmware will be on the new iPhone if they end up replacing mine?

Jmills87 said:

Jmills87 is right. Believe him.

I do believe him but I am telling you, the iPhone said 4.3.1 in the about screen. I looked up an old thread to a forum I used to belong to and I was on 4.2.6 but it definitely said 4.3.1 after I jailbroke the phone with greenpois0n.

It depends, the stores near my house have been dishing out phones with 4.2.10 preloaded for weeks now. However, there is another user on this forum who just got one with 4.2.6 preloaded, but he ordered online and I am sure there are a lot more 4.2.6/4.2.7/4.2.8 preloaded phones floating around in their online order warehouse then there are in-store.

but it definitely said 4.3.1 after I jailbroke the phone with greenpois0n.

This is simply not possible. You were probably looking at a different field(possibly "modem firmware") and thought that it said 4.3.1. There are no jailbreak tools that will modify what firmware version is displayed in the settings app.

lennie paz said:
Also, the phone is still acting up so I am returning it to the Apple Store. Which firmware will be on the new iPhone if they end up replacing mine?

We can't tell you but if you're with Verizon it will be 4.2. Something

lennie paz said:

We can't tell you but if you're with Verizon it will be 4.2. Something

Should I call Verizon and tell them that my phone has been acting weird even after I tried a restore, or should I just take it to the Apple Store?

Take it to the Apple Store, Verizon rarely replaces phones, if you take it to Apple they will replace it no questions asked

Ok, my home button is kinda quirky and it reboots on it's own sometimes. Thanks again for all the info guys.