What's new

Maps: Cannot remove Favorites or searches

Michael Graubart

Reaction score
I have an iphone SE with iOS 11.2.1

I have tried to remove stored places for which I have previously searched by swiping left on each of them and tapping 'Remove', but they re-appear — sometimes immediately, sometimes after I have shut the phone down and have later opened it again. My guess is that they remain stored somewhere in iCloud, but I may be quite wrong.

At any rate, I should be grateful to anyone who can tell me how to get rid of them permanently.

Yes, I now have the same problem, or rather I did! I have just unchecked Maps in iCloud and that has got rid of ones I couldn’t remove. I think there is a bug in the system.

That is brilliant, carolineM. Thank you so much. I had the same problem on my Mac, and I have now unchecked Maps in iCloud on the Mac, too. The only thing that remains is to find out (on both devices) whether any searched-for places on that device are stored on the device itself. But if they not so stored, that is not the end of the world; one can always type one in again if one wants to revisit the place.

Ah, ha! I put in a place chosen at random in order to test the storage, and yes, indeed, it is now stored in my phone — and once again I cannot get rid of it! If I swipe left, I only see 'Share', not 'Delete'. What did you do, carolineM? Or anyone else?

I went to the iCloud Settings in Settings (at the top for IOS 11) then scrolled down the Apps in i Cloud and switched off Maps. Incidentally, I tested this and still had to delete a location twice! You should see Share or Remove.

Yes, that is what I did in the first place (both on my phone and my Mac) and that removed them all very successfully, as I said in my first grateful reply to you. I then entered a place in Maps on my phone just to see whether it would be saved on the phone, despite Maps being turned off in iCloud, and it was retained.

I then tried to remove it again and could not (despite Maps being unchecked in iCloud on both my devices), and that got me worried again. But to my surprise, having shut my phone down, when I opened up my phone again a few minutes later it had gone!

This all requires a little more research, but in principle it seems that the problems are solved. Thank you again.

You’re very welcome! Hopefully this will get fixed in a future update.