What's new

lifeproof vs otterbox

setty7

Reaction score
Alright guys im probably going to get the 5 in january. I defintely want a case for it. I love how the lifeproof looks. Sleek, non bulky and versatile. The otterbox seems to bulky? Which one will hold up the best? thanks for yalls input!
setty

Our otterbox cases withstand a 3yo and a 1 1/2 yo and that includes throwing, chewing, and vicious beatings LoL we love them!

iPhoneMommy
~Tech Obsessed Mom~
iPhone 5 - Black - 16GB

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

Tapatalk Yo! :)

Our otterbox cases withstand a 3yo and a 1 1/2 yo and that includes throwing, chewing, and vicious beatings LoL we love them!

iPhoneMommy
~Tech Obsessed Mom~
iPhone 5 - Black - 16GB

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

Tapatalk Yo! :)

Lol same here otterbox is the best protection for your iPhone

Tapatalking up in ya

I have had both on my iPhone 4S.

The Lifeproof case is great due to the fact it's waterproof but it does have it's draw backs. The quality of the photos are not as good, especially in low light and when a flash is used. If it's a bright day outside you won't notice a difference. The touchscreen is a little less responsive than on the Otterbox as well (not a deal breaker for me but my wife didn't like it).

I currently have an Otterbox on my 4S and it's great. If you have to remove the case often for any reason (docking, etc.), I have seen the silicone become loose and not stay firmly in place around the plastic shell. I don't remove mine and have had no problems with this but others in my family have.

My wife has the iPhone 5 and has an Otterbox case on it and she likes it. It seems the quality of the silicone part of the case has been improved.

Friend has an otterbox. For someone who's always dropping her phone and is pretty clumsy in general, she swears by it protecting her phone.

Lol same here otterbox is the best protection for your iPhone

Tapatalking up in ya

thanks I just dont like how bulky OB is

I have had both on my iPhone 4S.

The Lifeproof case is great due to the fact it's waterproof but it does have it's draw backs. The quality of the photos are not as good, especially in low light and when a flash is used. If it's a bright day outside you won't notice a difference. The touchscreen is a little less responsive than on the Otterbox as well (not a deal breaker for me but my wife didn't like it).

I currently have an Otterbox on my 4S and it's great. If you have to remove the case often for any reason (docking, etc.), I have seen the silicone become loose and not stay firmly in place around the plastic shell. I don't remove mine and have had no problems with this but others in my family have.

My wife has the iPhone 5 and has an Otterbox case on it and she likes it. It seems the quality of the silicone part of the case has been improved.

does the OB on the i5 look/feel bulky?

Friend has an otterbox. For someone who's always dropping her phone and is pretty clumsy in general, she swears by it protecting her phone.

wouldnt doubt it either lol

I have both and otterbox is used more often.Lifeproof is a wonderful case as well... I love it

I use the OtterBox on my iPhone five and I think it is more shock absorbent than the life proof. However, the OtterBox is also difficult to put in your pocket.

I use OtterBox Commuter on my iPhone 5 and so far perfectly happy. Never used Lifeproof myself but there are a lot of negative reviews regarding it's water-proof ability, screen sensitivity and pictures quality.

I have used the otterbox defender for years on blackberry and iPhones. The rubber always loosened up and didn't fit tight after 6 to 8 months. My friend bought a defender case this past summer 2012. I noticed the rubber was much stiffer so I figured otterbox redesigned their rubber to prevent it stretching out and not fitting. Well 6 months later he's buying a new case because the rubber got stretched and is very loose fitting. I will never buy an otterbox product again.

So I decided to give the lifeproof case a try. All the reviews were correct and I returned it within a few days.

Finally found a case that's lasted 8 months and it's not all worn out. It's the Ballistic HD case for $50 at Meijer stores. I'm sure it can be found for cheaper however. What's nice about the case is you can remove the rubber part of the case off and the phone is still is protected very well. It also comes with a good beltclip that holds the phone very well.

I NEVER use the built in screen protector on any case. They all are cheap plastic that scratches and causes the rainbow effect. I always remove the built in screen protector and put on a Zagg HD screen protector.

My experience is use the Ballistic HD case and a Zagg screen protector.

I was going to buy a lifeproof but heard a lot of negatives, I have a defender which I use for work and a mophie juice pack on my days off

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

The defender is a great case, If the rubber wouldn't eventually stretch out.

With all the negative reviews on the lifeproof case, it makes ya wonder if the company ever ran "real world" tests on their case. Because the problems we all have with it would have been discovered on the first "real world" test.

I have the Otterbox and I have absolutely no complaints. I take great care not to drop my phone, but if that does happen, I'm confident it will protect my baby.

I have both and use Lifeproof more now. Otterbox is rumored to officially unviel their water proof case next week, but I waited for too long when the said the same this past spring.

I have both and use Lifeproof more now. Otterbox is rumored to officially unviel their water proof case next week, but I waited for too long when the said the same this past spring.

I think many people would love to have a waterproof Otterbox model. But of course it is all just rumors.

I never owned Otterbox or Lifeproof but was able to use both many times. It is pretty simple to choose between the two. If you want waterproof, then go with Lifeproof. It is pretty cool taking it underwater and taking pictures and videos with it, even playing music underwater hah. Otterbox is more for the clumsy person or if you have a job/hobby with harsh environment such as construction, skateboarding, biking, etc. The shell cover is very strong and pretty sure it can take a lot of high drops before the phone gets damaged. It may not be the best looking/thinnest case but I can tell you it is one of the strongest I felt.

This article also gives a good comparison between Lifeproof and Otterbox:
Lifeproof vs Otterbox « Supreme Skins