What's new

Jailbroken Verizon iPhone Version 4.2.8

MrBenchMark

Reaction score
Currently I have a jailbroken Verizon iPhone v4.2.8 and have considered upgrading it to the new iOS 5. Now I've read a few things regarding any jailbreaks out there for the iOS 5 and have read how there's some out there but only tethered (correct me if I'm wrong).

First question: Since mine is jailbroken, if I decide to upgrade it to the new iOS 5 (through iTunes) I will lose my current jailbroken status, right?

Second Question: If so, once I upgrade I will just have an iPhone 4 with an iOS 5, right?

Third Question: After I upgrade I will still have my apps that I purchased through Apple's Store, right?

Fourth Question: Anyone who has done the upgrade to iOS 5, what are your thoughts good or bad?

Thanks!

Currently I have a jailbroken Verizon iPhone v4.2.8 and have considered upgrading it to the new iOS 5. Now I've read a few things regarding any jailbreaks out there for the iOS 5 and have read how there's some out there but only tethered (correct me if I'm wrong).

First question: Since mine is jailbroken, if I decide to upgrade it to the new iOS 5 (through iTunes) I will lose my current jailbroken status, right?

Second Question: If so, once I upgrade I will just have an iPhone 4 with an iOS 5, right?

Third Question: After I upgrade I will still have my apps that I purchased through Apple's Store, right?

Fourth Question: Anyone who has done the upgrade to iOS 5, what are your thoughts good or bad?

Thanks!

1) you'll lose the jailbreak

2) yes

3) transfer your purchases through iTunes or just re download them from the app store. You'll have a purchased tab.

4) I love iOS 5 but I'm probably one of the few that can do without a jailbreak so most opinions might be for more jailbreaking features.

Well, it's actually kind of funny because when I first purchased my iPhone 4 in June of this year, I was all caught up into jail breaking it. Finally I went for it and did it, but honestly, aside from Bite SMS which allowed me to assign customized ring tones I made (from music, etc) to my contacts, having folders I can put an infinite amount of apps (I think) into them, and being able to put more than 4 apps on my dock, that's all I've used Cydia for. Any other app I get, I get from Apple's Store.

From what I've also read about the iOS 5, I read how a lot of the features are similar to what you would get with a jail broken iPhone like the one I have now....

Ok, now that I'm finally decided to to go ahead and update to iOS 5 and tentatively forget about having a v 4.2.8 jailbroken iPhone, now I get a message during back up that says, "An error occurred while backing up this iPhone (-48). Would you like to continue to update this iPhone? Continuing will result in the loss of all contents on this iPhone" Then it gives me the options of Cancel or Continue. Of course I cancelled. Now what?

What error is it. And update iTunes your iTunes and turn off any firewall you have

Last edited:
Like I wrote above it says (-48), I wrote out the error message above...

MrBenchMark said:
Like I wrote above it says (-48), I wrote out the error message above...

Go to ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates.
In the Finder you can choose Go > Go to Folder, type or paste the above pathname, and click Go.
Remove all files in the iPhone Software Updates directory.
Attempt to restore the iPhone again.
In Windows these will be within a hidden folder.
To see these files in Windows Explorer you will need to choose Tools > Folder Options, click View, and then select the "View and select Show Hidden Files and Folders" option.

If you are experiencing this issue when updating an iPhone on Windows Vista follow the steps below:

Choose Start > Computer > Local disk and enter the following:
C:/users/[yourusername]/AppData/Roaming/Apple Computer/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates
If you are experiencing this issue when updating an iPhone on Windows XP follow the steps below:

Choose Start > Run, then type C:/documents and settings/[yourusername]/Application Data/Apple Computer/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates

Of course you should know, I'm not trying to "restore" my iPhone, but update it to iOS 5. You wrote, "Attempt to restore the iPhone again.", this is not what I'm trying to do. Perhaps I've misunderstood your reply.

UPDATE:

I was told the reason I couldn't update my iPhone to the iOS 5 is due to the fact it's jailbroken and the only way to be able to update it is to un-jailbreak it. Now my question is, is un-jailbreaking it the same as restoring your iPhone on iTunes, and if so, will I lose all my contents on my iPhone, and what are "all contents"?

MrBenchMark said:
UPDATE:

I was told the reason I couldn't update my iPhone to the iOS 5 is due to the fact it's jailbroken and the only way to be able to update it is to un-jailbreak it. Now my question is, is un-jailbreaking it the same as restoring your iPhone on iTunes, and if so, will I lose all my contents on my iPhone, and what are "all contents"?

Yes. You can't keep any contents if you remove the jailbreak. In order to update you have to restore no getting around it

MrBenchmark
I updated my jailbroke 4.2.8 Verizon 2 nights ago and it was so smooth it blew me away. My wifi settings, old messages, wallpapers and all apps was restored. The only thing is the apps are not in your old folders so you have to re do that. Also had to resynch to get my custom ringtones and all photos restored. My cover art for my music library even came across in the next synch. Go for it you will like 5.0 and if you miss jailbreaking there will be a release soon. Itunes downloaded the update then backed my device up then wiped device and restored with new 5.0 then will restore your most recent backup. Easy greasy dude. After that is will ask you to do some minor set ups check out your device and I would synch again to get everything across. The only glitch I had and i found it when i did my Ipad 1 first was tiny umbrella kept my from synch with Apple servers so make sure all boxes are unchecked so it doesnt talk to Cydia instead of Apple Servers. Once again we must applaud Apple for such a big major IOS update going so smooth. There will be no Cydia or any of your jailbreak apps left. I thought i would miss bitesms too but the calendar improvments and reminders and all the other upgrades more than help you forget about jailbreaking. Have not figured out ICloud yet but my IPAD and Iphone are all in synch. You do not need to un-jailbreak as the upgrade will do it for you. Good luck and let me know if you need more help!! :photos:

Well I did it. All my apps I purchased through Apple's Store, Contacts, SMS and MMS messages, Calendar Events, etc were already synced with iTunes so when I did a restore I just re-synced my iPhone and it was done, with the iOS 5.

MrBenchMark said:

Thanks!

Donot update Just waiting