What's new

Jailbroke iPhone 3G won't connect to carrier network

95yj

Reaction score
I was given an iPhone 3G that was already SIM unlocked and that the owner tried to jailbrake with blackra1n. They said everything was working OK except that Cydia wouldn't start up so they asked me to fix it.

The phone was on 3.1.2 with baseband 5.15.04 and bootloader 5.9_M3S2. They didn't have any SHSH's stored so I performed a jailbreak with Sn0wbreeze v2.2 and jailbroke the phone to firmware v4.2.1. I used expert mode and enabled background, battery percentage, native multitasking, hacktivate, left the root partition at the default of 800 and selected package ultrasn0w.

Everything went seamlessly and the phone boots up, runs Cydia, connects to the Internet via wireless as expected. The issue that I have is if I put a SIM in from either of the two carriers down here, it just keeps searching for a network but never finds one. Accessing the carrier screen displays "unable to load network list". I turned off 3G but that didn't change anything. Both these SIMs work fine in a Nokia and Blackberry phone.

Anyone have any ideas what needs to happen to get phone service on this phone again?

You don't need SHSH's for the 3G. When you say sim unlocked what exactly do you mean? Factory unlocked, carrier unlocked or ultrasnow?

Since its a 3G you could downgrade your baseband using fuzzyband then install ultrasnow and try the sims again...

Thanks for the response. As you can tell, I'm new to iPhones and am just trying to help out a friend. I have spent many hours reading over the past week though. A few more questions.

You don't need SHSH's for the 3G.
If the 3G doesn't need SHSHs, why do I get an error 1015 when I try to load an unaltered v3.1.2 iOS onto the phone?

When you say sim unlocked what exactly do you mean? Factory unlocked, carrier unlocked or ultrasnow?
I don't know the answer to that. I was given the phone with v3.2.1 jailbreaked and it supposedly worked with different carriers here. After installing v4.2.1 via Sn0wbreeze, it just keeps searching for signal. It does not state invalid SIM though.

Since its a 3G you could downgrade your baseband using fuzzyband then install ultrasnow and try the sims again...
As stated, my bootloader is not v5.08 so I cannot downgrade the baseband.

Last edited:
OK, I believe I have it figured out.

The phone must have been unlocked with ultrasn0w. When the owner jailbroke it with 3.1.2, they upgraded the baseband to 5.15.04 which broke the ultrasn0w unlock. Cydia wouldn't run because it had no GSM coverage so they handed the phone to me.

I was able to downgrade the phone to 3.1.2 again by installing it via iTunes from recovery mode receiving error 1015 and then using redsn0w with no options checked to take the phone out of recovery mode. At this point there's still no cell service. Same goes for when it was on 4.2.1 jailbreaked or not.

I re-upgraded the phone to 4.2.1 via iTunes and used redsn0w to upgrade the baseband to iPod v 6.15.00, then jailbreaked the phone with redsn0w and then installed ultrasn0w. Now the phone is working in a jailbroken state. I realize that it is impossible to downgrade the iPod baseband back to an iPhone baseband and also load an unjailbreaked iOS onto the phone with the iPod baseband.

If you have the old-bootrom 3G you can downgrade your baseband

He has the newer bootrom...

OK, I believe I have it figured out.

The phone must have been unlocked with ultrasn0w. When the owner jailbroke it with 3.1.2, they upgraded the baseband to 5.15.04 which broke the ultrasn0w unlock. Cydia wouldn't run because it had no GSM coverage so they handed the phone to me.

I was able to downgrade the phone to 3.1.2 again by installing it via iTunes from recovery mode receiving error 1015 and then using redsn0w with no options checked to take the phone out of recovery mode. At this point there's still no cell service. Same goes for when it was on 4.2.1 jailbreaked or not.

I re-upgraded the phone to 4.2.1 via iTunes and used redsn0w to upgrade the baseband to iPod v 6.15.00, then jailbreaked the phone with redsn0w and then installed ultrasn0w. Now the phone is working in a jailbroken state. I realize that it is impossible to downgrade the iPod baseband back to an iPhone baseband and also load an unjailbreaked iOS onto the phone with the iPod baseband.

I was thinking that the phone had been unlocked by ultrasnow. The iPad;) baseband therefore was your only option since the baseband was updated. Your correct with the restore process now. You will only be able to restore using a custom firmware with the iPad baseband preloaded. I would advise that you downgrade the phone back to 3.1.3 as the 3G is very slow/laggy and prone to crashing on iOS4...

I would advise that you downgrade the phone back to 3.1.3 as the 3G is very slow/laggy and prone to crashing on iOS4...

OK, thanks for this info. I'll do that and see how it goes. Is there anything that 4.x has that is missing from 3.1.3?

iOS 4 has a good few updates on it being a major release. The only one I can think of the top of my head is game centre...

You can always upgrade baseband to 06.15 if nothing else works.
Then you can Unlock again with Ultrasn0w. Redns0w 0.9.6b6 will do that.