What's new

Jailbreaking iOS 4.2.8 Untethered on Verizon iPhone 4 CDMA with Redsn0w

Here is a simple guide by following which you can get untethered jailbreak on you Verizon iPhone 4 without needing Snowbreeze or restoring to custom iOS 4.2.8.

Step 1: Update your Verizon iPhone 4 to iOS 4.2.8 via iTunes. that can be downloaded here http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/041-1022.20110503.5g8k7/iPhone3,3_4.2.8_8E401_Restore.ipsw or simply use itunes to update and restore to that firmware.

Step 2: Launch Redsnow (windows link) ( https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.6rc18.zip?attredirects=0&d=1 ) and when it asks you to select the corresponding iPSW file, point it to iOS 4.2.6 instead of iOS 4.2.8.

For the mac version of redsn0w use this link : https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_mac_0.9.6rc18.zip?attredirects=0&d=1> the rest of the procedure is the same just the version of redsn0w is different.

4.2.6 download link http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/041-0177.20110131.Pyvrz/iPhone3,3_4.2.6_8E200_Restore.ipsw

safe_image.php

Step 3: While selecting “Install Cydia” option, jailbreak your phone.

safe_image.php

Step 4: Now boot tethered your iPhone using the “Just boot tethered right now” option from Redsnow.

Step 5: Launch Cydia and add the source http://djayb6.com.

safe_image.php

Step 6: Using the search box in Cydia, search for “CDMA iPhone Untether”

safe_image.php

Step 7: Install CDMA iPhone untether for iOS 4.2.8 package.

safe_image.php

Step 8: Restart your untethered jailbroken iPhone 4 running on Verizon network.

Thanks to Djayb6 for developing this package and making iOS 4.2.8 unethered jailbreak possible.

I have followed this 6 times and get same results, black screen with flashing apple emblem. Why do you upgrade to 4.2.8 but point to the old 4.2.6 in redsn0w? I have completed this process pointing to both programs and get nowhere? Any help from past jailbreakers with the same issues would be great.

If you have 4.2.8 in your iphone, get an ipsw 4.2.8 to jailbreak the iphone. Get the latest redsnow existing and while redsnow to locate the ipsw 4.2.8 on step 4 or 5 (i don't remember) DO NOT CHECK THE BOX SAYING "Tether Boot" or "Boot Tether" LEAVE EVERYTHING THERE AS IT IS. The next step after that will want you to have your phone powered off and connected to your computer. Follow on screen instruction to put the phone in DFU mode and then redsnow will do the rest.

then your doing something wrong maybe loading the wrong firmware.. make sure you use 4.2.6 fw not 4.2.8 on redsn0w

Why do you upgrade to 4.2.8 but direct redsn0w to 4.2.6? I have been told that would damage the phone. I have tried these steps 7 times and even had redsn0w directed to both ipsw 4.2.6 and 4.2.8. I keep getting all the way to the end and get a black screen with a slow flashing apple emblem.

Between steps 3 and 4, you are told to do a tethered reboot only but I have read further down where people are directed to only reboot after loading the CDMA program. It seems like there is some differences in opinions on how to do this and I have tried all the advised corrections. Is there another avenue to get this done using another program? What is the difference between tethered and untethered jailbreak?

Why do you upgrade to 4.2.8 but direct redsn0w to 4.2.6? I have been told that would damage the phone. I have tried these steps 7 times and even had redsn0w directed to both ipsw 4.2.6 and 4.2.8. I keep getting all the way to the end and get a black screen with a slow flashing apple emblem.

Between steps 3 and 4, you are told to do a tethered reboot only but I have read further down where people are directed to only reboot after loading the CDMA program. It seems like there is some differences in opinions on how to do this and I have tried all the advised corrections. Is there another avenue to get this done using another program? What is the difference between tethered and untethered jailbreak?

Do not try to jailbreak the phone using another iOS version other than what you have installed in the phone, it's very very bad.
If you have 4.2.8 in the iphone, direct redsnow to 4.2.8 and use it to jailbreak, if you have 4.2.6 in the iphone, direct redsnow to 4.2.6 and use it to jailbreak.
A tether jailbreak means that you will always need to connect your phone to your computer everytime you turn off the phone. There will not be any other way to boot up the phone if you don't connect it to your computer and run a program called "iBoot" to boot up you phone.
Unlike a tether jailbreak, an UNTETHER jailbreak means that you can turn off and turn on the phone just like it suppose to be and all without having to connect the phone to a computer.
If redsnow couldn't untether jailbreak your phone then you can use another tool like snowbreeze for windows and pwnage tool for Mac. Using snowbreeze or pwnage tool, you will have to cook an untether jailbreak firmware which you will later (after cooking the untether jailbreak firmware) upload to your iphone using itunes.

If you have 4.2.8 in your iphone, get an ipsw 4.2.8 to jailbreak the iphone. Get the latest redsnow existing and while redsnow to locate the ipsw 4.2.8 on step 4 or 5 (i don't remember) DO NOT CHECK THE BOX SAYING "Tether Boot" or "Boot Tether" LEAVE EVERYTHING THERE AS IT IS. The next step after that will want you to have your phone powered off and connected to your computer. Follow on screen instruction to put the phone in DFU mode and then redsnow will do the rest.

Done this as well. Same result, black screen with flashing apple. 9 times and several hours, still no "jailbreak". Is there an easier more defined way. This way seems to have a lot of contradictions.

Done this as well. Same result, black screen with flashing apple. 9 times and several hours, still no "jailbreak". Is there an easier more defined way. This way seems to have a lot of contradictions.
Use another tool to jailbreak, use snowbreeze if you are on windows.

What an experience this has been. Where can I get detailed instructions on using snowbreeze on windows? Thanks

what this jailbreak does is give you a tethered jailbreak then you download a tweak from cydia that turns the tethered jailbreak into an un tethered one

what this jailbreak does is give you a tethered jailbreak then you download a tweak from cydia that turns the tethered jailbreak into an un tethered one
Everything worked great using sowbre3exe. Now I assume I have a tethered jailbreak and can I use the same Cydia program listed in the redsn0w jailbreak and run it to make it untethered? The program listed to download under the redsn0w jailbreak.

I used snowbreeze and got it first try. This method didn't work out for me, but I am now successfully jailbroken!

when you reboot on a tethered jailbreak you have to re jailbreak, so try re jailbreak then load cydia

I have done all the steps and when I unplugged my iphone to reboot it, it just slowly flashes a black screen with the apple in the middle of the screen. Am I not waiting long enough or does this indicate a problem?

I followed all the steps to the end and I am stuck on a untethered slow flashing reboot

sorry to hear you where not successful, i have in the past posted tutorials with pwnage tool for 4.2.8 but a lot of people had problems so i thought this time i would try this method... thanks for your feedback and if you want to add your tutorial you used with sn0wbreeze feel free :)

Hi I need someone to help me flash my iPhone 4 Verizon to a company called perfecto mobile. It's a company in Uzbekistan. I have the prl files. And I need someone to tea h me. Please And thank you!

So this other carrier your talking about uses the same network as verizon and not GSM?

I was ready to jailbreak my iphone 4 verizon 4.2.8 with sn0wBreeze, read some post that some had luck and some did not, but was going to take a chance. Then, I came across redsn0w so I decided to go with that being it "seemed" easier of the 2 methods thinking simpler may be a better success rate? anyway, when I open the zip and get to step 2 which runs redsn0w 0.9.6rc18 to browse for IPSW I cannto find it ..it dived into hrs of looking for it through setting doc, appdata, applecomp, itunes, etc etc, but I can find any 4.2.6 or 4.2.8 for that matter..thinking it already came with 4.2.8 when purchased? so I am currently downloading ipsw 4.2.6 which is a pretty big file 6xxmb so its going to take me over an hr? hoping I can select it to run redsn0w? Now I am debating to try the sn0wbreeze. Is there any other way I can run redsn0w? I am using xp and just downloaded the newest itunes from apple website. I am trying to jailbreak so I can tether wifi hopefully today! there are people listed locally that can do it for $25 and the price is not a prob, but I just thought it would be better to try it myself so I know what's going on. thanks for your help..I am currently on vacation so the only way to get internet is local free cafe's..but so far I downloaded, sn0wbreeze 2.7.1, 2.7.3, tiny umbrella 5.00.03, and redsn0w win 9.0.6cr18. thanks

If you go gsm area there is one on there that you do on phone just follow the link on there!! Its easy