What's new

Jailbreaking iOS 4.2.8 Untethered on Verizon iPhone 4 CDMA with Redsn0w

Gregoris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a simple guide by following which you can get untethered jailbreak on you Verizon iPhone 4 without needing Snowbreeze or restoring to custom iOS 4.2.8.

Step 1: Update your Verizon iPhone 4 to iOS 4.2.8 via iTunes. that can be downloaded here http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/041-1022.20110503.5g8k7/iPhone3,3_4.2.8_8E401_Restore.ipsw or simply use itunes to update and restore to that firmware.

Step 2: Launch Redsnow (windows link) ( https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.6rc18.zip?attredirects=0&d=1 ) and when it asks you to select the corresponding iPSW file, point it to iOS 4.2.6 instead of iOS 4.2.8.

For the mac version of redsn0w use this link : https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_mac_0.9.6rc18.zip?attredirects=0&d=1> the rest of the procedure is the same just the version of redsn0w is different.

4.2.6 download link http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/041-0177.20110131.Pyvrz/iPhone3,3_4.2.6_8E200_Restore.ipsw

safe_image.php

Step 3: While selecting “Install Cydia” option, jailbreak your phone.

safe_image.php

Step 4: Now boot tethered your iPhone using the “Just boot tethered right now” option from Redsnow.

Step 5: Launch Cydia and add the source http://djayb6.com.

safe_image.php

Step 6: Using the search box in Cydia, search for “CDMA iPhone Untether”

safe_image.php

Step 7: Install CDMA iPhone untether for iOS 4.2.8 package.

safe_image.php

Step 8: Restart your untethered jailbroken iPhone 4 running on Verizon network.

Thanks to Djayb6 for developing this package and making iOS 4.2.8 unethered jailbreak possible.

Last edited:
for some reason i can not download and open the program. I am using a pc not a mac. i tried to download them and i can open the right one or i dont know what to open one of the other. I hate to say this but i need more detail on this because this is all new to me.

Tried this 3 times now.. each time I get stuck in a bootloop...

then your doing something wrong maybe loading the wrong firmware.. make sure you use 4.2.6 fw not 4.2.8 on redsn0w

Did that too, I downloaded the one from the link in the OP.

What else could I be missing, I have followed the steps word for word.

After I install the CDMA file from cydia and click reboot it just gets stuck in a bootloop?

thats where your going wrong, dont reboot until after you install the un tethered app form cydia..

That's what I mean, I install it, it does it's thing.. then a button comes up and says reboot phone now. I don't think I have any other choices.

when you reboot on a tethered jailbreak you have to re jailbreak, so try re jailbreak then load cydia

when you reboot on a tethered jailbreak you have to re jailbreak, so try re jailbreak then load cydia

I have done all the steps and when I unplugged my iphone to reboot it, it just slowly flashes a black screen with the apple in the middle of the screen. Am I not waiting long enough or does this indicate a problem?

I followed all the steps to the end and I am stuck on a untethered slow flashing reboot

I have done all the steps and when I unplugged my iphone to reboot it, it just slowly flashes a black screen with the apple in the middle of the screen. Am I not waiting long enough or does this indicate a problem?

I followed all the steps to the end and I am stuck on a untethered slow flashing reboot

Are u sure that you have an untether jailbreak? I think that you are still having a tether jailbreak and so when the screen is black like the one you have now on your device, you will need to use an iBoot on your computer to boot up your device. Jailbreak it again and make sure that you don't check anything saying tether while in the jailbreaking process.

Are u sure that you have an untether jailbreak? I think that you are still having a tether jailbreak and so when the screen is black like the one you have now on your device, you will need to use an iBoot on your computer to boot up your device. Jailbreak it again and make sure that you don't check anything saying tether while in the jailbreaking process.

I had my phone connected during the jailbreak process..third time is a charm. Here we go all over again

I had my phone connected during the jailbreak process..third time is a charm. Here we go all over again
Sure your phone have to be connected to your computer during the jailbreaking process, that doesn't mean that at the end the jailbreak will be untether. You need to make sure that "boot tether" is not check in redsnow in the option page which comes up moment before it ask you to put your phone off and connected to the computer.

Last edited:
Sure your phone have to be connected to your computer during the jailbreaking process, that doesn't mean that at the end the jailbreak will be untether. You need to make sure that "boot tether" is not check in redsnow in the option page which comes up moment before it ask you to put your phone off and connected to the computer.

In the steps listed 3-4, it states that after tou install cydia to check reboot tethered. After Cydia was installed, instead of clicking on finished I clicked on back and there were only 2 options. I checked to boot only tethered like it states and finished the process. I have gotten to the end again and after I click on reboot, my screen goes black and the flashing apple displays. I assume that this whole process is completed with the iphone connected to my laptop throughout the whole process. I assume tethered means connected to my laptop through the Apple cable. I am so close but keep getting hung up on same problem and I restore my phone and start the process all over again. What am I doing wrong or not understanding?

In the steps listed 3-4, it states that after tou install cydia to check reboot tethered. After Cydia was installed, instead of clicking on finished I clicked on back and there were only 2 options. I checked to boot only tethered like it states and finished the process. I have gotten to the end again and after I click on reboot, my screen goes black and the flashing apple displays. I assume that this whole process is completed with the iphone connected to my laptop throughout the whole process. I assume tethered means connected to my laptop through the Apple cable. I am so close but keep getting hung up on same problem and I restore my phone and start the process all over again. What am I doing wrong or not understanding?

I am in the same spot as you. After it finished it rebooted and then it is stuck on the apple icon bootloop. I tried redsnow again and let it instal cydia and now that's all i have done. Since i already added the source and installed the package am i good now? I am no longer in bootloop but how do i know if i am jailbroken for sure?