What's new

iTunes wont detect iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S (need help)

Hi there.

I would suggest updating your usb drivers and whatever windows updates there are to do.

Also, try to open up a new user account (administrator account as well) in your laptop (like a second administrator user), and install a fresh copy of itunes in there and tell me if it works.

Also, do you have a different cable that you could use? (like a spare)

Thanks for that, something worth trying, I'll let you know if that helped.

Regarding cable, the one I have seems to be OK, I mean my lap top reacts immediately when I plug in my Iphone.

Last edited:
You need to reinstall iTunes. Make sure to delete all associated Installed application before reinstalling.
Use iTunes 10.5, other iTunes version that is lower than 10.5 wont' detect iOS 5.0+ devices.

Well, I did it once again.
I wiped out everything what had to do with Apple software, even a Quick Time Player.
Under the new Administrator I have installed a fresh Itunes and it failed again. Itunes just does not detect my Iphone. (Apple Mobile Devices did not install again)
It's e new version 10.5 an my Iphone has the newest Ios 5.0.1.
Since I have no luck with Itunes, is there any alternative software that can manage Iphone without Itunes???
In any case thank you all for your suggestions.

In what operating system your pc runs?
32bit or 64bit?

It is really strange that after reinstalling itunes, still it didn't show up in your itunes.

In what operating system your pc runs?
32bit or 64bit?

It is really strange that after reinstalling itunes, still it didn't show up in your itunes.

It's a HP lap top, runs Windows 7 ultimate 32bit.

Well, my misery came to an end. Finally I did it.
I uninstalled all of Apple software I had on my lap top and than (it took me 2 hours aaaaaaaaaaaa) manually deleted all entries in Windows registry in connection with any Apple software I had before, than downloaded and installed fresh Itunes 10.5.3 and miracle happened.
Itunes detected my I4 in a second.
After that I checked Services in Windows and yes Apple Mobile Devices was there for the first time. So problem solved.
Thanks again to all of you for suggestions and advices.

I stupidly downloaded the IOS6 update and then my phone would not detect on my computer. after 2 or 3 weeks of doing everything Apple says with no joy, I suddenly thought what would happen if I plugged my Daughters ipod in to the computer. The ipod was detected (where as the iphone wasn't) then it searched the web for something, a driver I think, once that was installed, I then unplugged the ipod and plugged in my iphone and after a minute or so, it was there! A lesson to be learnt here, If you have any device that is working fine, DON'T accept any software updates! I'm not saying this will fix your problem, but give it a go.

Your GF's 4S cannot be detected neither, I guess it is possibly a computer problem