What's new

iTunes wont detect iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S (need help)

Tippin

Reaction score
So yeah, i dont know wtf is wrong... At first, my phone was always detected fine and never had problems with my phone being detected by iTunes.. but now, about a week ago.. it stopped detecting my phone! and i change music like every week... so this is really annoying me now.. i need new tunes!!

Another thing, my girls 4S never would work on my computer.. it works on her moms computer fine.. but not mine..

If it helps, ive tried everything on the support part of Apples website about this problem..

Ive updated itunes.. its been updated actually.
Ive turned my phone off then back on.. ive restarted my computer..
ive deleted itunes then reinstalled it (thankfully my 40+ GB music library was still there)

And thats pretty much it..

Im contemplating on just Restoring my computer..

Any other ideas?

OH, and my computer can be detected on my GF's moms computer.. i tried that the other day..

Thanks!

That's a strange one. Have you tried doing a hardwire sync with the computer to see if that jumpstarts the wireless sync again? Might be necessary to be able to get the computer to "see" the profile of the phones again. That's my initial thought.

Nah im not even using wireless Sync..

I have in the past.. but that no longer works.. says it will work the next time "The name of my computer" is available..

Im using wired.. atleast i have been since it messed up..

Is this a pc\laptop?

Does the pc\laptop detect the iPhone?

Check to make sure the driver for the iPhone is functioning first.

This may sound simple, but it happened to someone here the other day....have you switched USB ports? It may be a USB issue.

This may sound simple, but it happened to someone here the other day....have you switched USB ports? It may be a USB issue.

This is definitely a pc problem and not iTunes. If your phones are picked up on other pcs then I suggest you go to add and remove on the pc settings and delete iTunes and everything associated with it. On reboot download iTunes again. And then go through the steps of plugging in the USB when asked and then your phone. Remember all your content should come back under your apple ID. It sounds like a corrupt file has happened either via something you've added or done. Deletion should rectify this hence why you need to delete all content (pop up window confirms this) rather than just iTunes. Good luck!

iHolophyte

You can also try deleting the driver first and letting windows see it again.

M8 I've been having the same issue, I noticed it about a week or so ago, all of a sudden itunes would not detect my phone & now I keep getting a box coming up in itunes asking if I want to activate 'PUSH'. Man I'm sure this has something to do with apple and not down to a faulty phone or something. I remember I had to agree to another T&C about 1 week ago on my Iphone before it would allow me to download anything.

Is this a pc\laptop?

Does the pc\laptop detect the iPhone?

Check to make sure the driver for the iPhone is functioning first.

Laptop.. and "Apple iPhone" shows up fine when i plug the phone in.. iTunes just doesn't detect the phone..

Did that before i made this post..

Yup.. tried all of them =/

This is definitely a pc problem and not iTunes. If your phones are picked up on other pcs then I suggest you go to add and remove on the pc settings and delete iTunes and everything associated with it. On reboot download iTunes again. And then go through the steps of plugging in the USB when asked and then your phone. Remember all your content should come back under your apple ID. It sounds like a corrupt file has happened either via something you've added or done. Deletion should rectify this hence why you need to delete all content (pop up window confirms this) rather than just iTunes. Good luck!

iHolophyte

I do believe you are the correct one.. I think something has happened to my computer.. i halfway ready to just factory restore this thing since its full of junk mess anyway..

You can also try deleting the driver first and letting windows see it again.

I tried that with my girls 4S and didn't succede.. but i suppose i could try with my 4..

Or you could buy a Mac. :p

I would love a Mac.. and after all the PoS PCs ive bought, i could have bought 1 reliable Mac.. smh..

M8 I've been having the same issue, I noticed it about a week or so ago, all of a sudden itunes would not detect my phone & now I keep getting a box coming up in itunes asking if I want to activate 'PUSH'. Man I'm sure this has something to do with apple and not down to a faulty phone or something. I remember I had to agree to another T&C about 1 week ago on my Iphone before it would allow me to download anything.

Im pretty positive its not our phones.. And im not sure if its Apple themselves.. i think we may have just ticked something in itunes or something by accident? idk.. im pretty positive our phones are good.. its Apple after all =P

Overall thanks people.. something is gonna get done today.. i gotta get my Unteathered JB back!!! =]

Tippin said:
Laptop.. and "Apple iPhone" shows up fine when i plug the phone in.. iTunes just doesn't detect the phone..

Did that before i made this post..

Yup.. tried all of them =/

I do believe you are the correct one.. I think something has happened to my computer.. i halfway ready to just factory restore this thing since its full of junk mess anyway..

I tried that with my girls 4S and didn't succede.. but i suppose i could try with my 4..

I would love a Mac.. and after all the PoS PCs ive bought, i could have bought 1 reliable Mac.. smh..

Im pretty positive its not our phones.. And im not sure if its Apple themselves.. i think we may have just ticked something in itunes or something by accident? idk.. im pretty positive our phones are good.. its Apple after all =P

Overall thanks people.. something is gonna get done today.. i gotta get my Unteathered JB back!!! =]

You could try going into services/local/ then finding your iDevice and hitting "restart the service"

This happened to me the other day and that solved it.

Sorry if you've already tried this. :D

Hi there, I have also the same problem, iTunes wont detect my Iphone 4.
I have a HP lap top with Windows 7.
When I plug in my Iphone, Windows wants to install the device driver and of course fails every time, in the device manager I phone shows up with yellow sign.
I have tried everything, all suggestions from Apple support, many ideas from WWW, but no luck so far.
I have also noticed one strange thing, every time when I install Itunes Apple Mobile Devices are not installed????
I guess that is the main problem, but I just dont know how to solve it.
Any suggestions

When I plug in my Iphone, Windows wants to install the device driver and of course fails every time, in the device manager I phone shows up with yellow sign.
I have tried everything, all suggestions from Apple support, many ideas from WWW, but no luck so far.
I have also noticed one strange thing, every time when I install Itunes Apple Mobile Devices are not installed????
Any suggestions

Hi there.

I would suggest updating your usb drivers and whatever windows updates there are to do.

Also, try to open up a new user account (administrator account as well) in your laptop (like a second administrator user), and install a fresh copy of itunes in there and tell me if it works.

Also, do you have a different cable that you could use? (like a spare)

Any suggestions

Did you try the info contained on this support site?
How to restart the Apple Mobile Device Service (AMDS) on Windows