What's new

Is untethered suppose to be more reliable than tethered?

Ferrari

Reaction score
So I'm on 5.1 iPhone 4 and I was just wondering if untethered JB's are usually much more reliable and stable than tethered?
I did the tethered 5.1 jailbreak couple of nights ago and it went horrible. My phone started acting very weird and started to restart itself after every couple of seconds. I've never done tethered JB before and I've never had this issue happen to me before.
So, are untethered suppose to be "better" jailbreaks or did what happen was just pure luck??

Much appreciated.

Tethered jailbreaks require you to use just boot when you restart you device.... Untherthed does not. I think untethered is more reliable than a tethered

This is weird. In my experience, tethered jailbreaks have always been slightly more stable then the untethered. They must have not put as much work into the 5.1 tether. I had a 5.1 tethered jailbreak, but installed some shady deb I shouldn't have and got stuck on pineapple logo on tethered boot, and when I just let it reboot to a none-jailbroken state, I was just in a respring loop. Idk if it was the deb or the jailbreak.

Regardless i just restore to 5.0.1 so I could have my untether back.

For some reason I always have trouble with tethered JBs

IOSMonkee said:
For some reason I always have trouble with tethered JBs

Well....you do have to be kinda careful with them...

The #1 rule in my book is to never enter DFU whole the device is on...always shut down via "Slide to power off" slider.

And when you install something that requires a reboot like WinterBoard...I DO Not press the Reboot button.

I don't press anything. I leave the phone be, plug it in, shut it off...enter DFU mode, the I open redsn0w and boot tethered.

Well....you do have to be kinda careful with them...

The #1 rule in my book is to never enter DFU whole the device is on...always shut down via "Slide to power off" slider.

And when you install something that requires a reboot like WinterBoard...I DO Not press the Reboot button.

I don't press anything. I leave the phone be, plug it in, shut it off...enter DFU mode, the I open redsn0w and boot tethered.

Oh, yeah my phone went on a respring loop when I downloaded something from Cydia that required my phone to be rebooted. I didn't know that would affect the tethered jb since the phone wasn't exactly going to be turned off, just rebooted.

I think I will just wait for the 5.1 untethered jb :)

Ferrari said:
Oh, yeah my phone went on a respring loop when I downloaded something from Cydia that required my phone to be rebooted. I didn't know that would affect the tethered jb since the phone wasn't exactly going to be turned off, just rebooted.

I think I will just wait for the 5.1 untethered jb :)

Well, when you reboot a tether jailbroken iPhone it boots into a none-jailbroken state.

You install the Semi-Tether package so those Respring loops don't happen. It for reapplying the semi-tether before rebooting.

That problem is usually an easy fix.

Well, when you reboot a tether jailbroken iPhone it boots into a none-jailbroken state.

You install the Semi-Tether package so those Respring loops don't happen. It for reapplying the semi-tether before rebooting.

That problem is usually an easy fix.

So you're saying I should have installed this Semi-Tether package from Cydia BEFORE I installed anything that required a reboot of the phone so the loop doesn't happen??
And with this package installed, do I still have to reconnect my phone to the computer to apply the tethering back? or no? It would be really annoying to connect my phone back to the computer for every package that requires me to reboot just so I can stay jailbroken >< lol

Ferrari said:
So you're saying I should have installed this Semi-Tether package from Cydia BEFORE I installed anything that required a reboot of the phone so the loop doesn't happen??
And with this package installed, do I still have to reconnect my phone to the computer to apply the tethering back? or no? It would be really annoying to connect my phone back to the computer for every package that requires me to reboot just so I can stay jailbroken >< lol

If you install anything that requires a reboot you should be booting tethered.....

Don't press the reboot button. Don't do anything when the package is done installing. Just plug in phone, shut down, enter DFU and open redsn0w and click "Just boot".

Why would you not boot tethered when installing a package that requires a reboot?

And pretty much all packages from Cydia only require a Respring. I cant even think of more than 4 packages that require a reboot.

And with the Semi-Tether package installed you will be able to reboot fine so long as you actually open the Semi-Tether app on the SpringBoard and reapply the semi-tether if needed.

And when you do reboot your device will reboot into an none-jailbroken state. In this state, Cydia, anything FROM Cydia and Safari will not work. You can use a different browser or use the Semi-Tether app to patch Safari so it works in the none-jailbroken state.

You cannot use Cydia, or anything from Cydia until you boot tethered with redsn0w again.

This is why it's a "semi-tethered" jailbreak. Before, in iOS 4....a tethered jailbroken was just that...a real tethered jailbreak...where you could not reboot period. You would be stuck at the Apple logo til you boot tethered again.

iOS 5 has changed the tethered jailbreak status...anything tethered in iOS 5 firmware is really a semi-tethered jailbreak...once Mobile Substrate is installed any way.

And you can reboot and use your phone if you really need to..data, calls, SMS all work...just nothing from Cydia or Cydia itself. Big change for the jailbreak community. The people that had tethered jailbreak before iOS 5 can really appreciate this new "semi-tether" that iOS 5 offers...

But sometimes the daemons are broken on reboot..causing a respring loop....

This is why you should install the SemiTether package. This package will tell you of its safe to reboot or not when you open the application.

If the box is red and it says "not safe",then tap reapply til the box is green, then it reapplies the semi-tether so you can reboot into a none-jailbroken state without going into a respring loop.

You will not gain functionality of Cydia or anything from Cydia until the you boot tethered again with redsn0w.

If you install anything that requires a reboot you should be booting tethered.....

Don't press the reboot button. Don't do anything when the package is done installing. Just plug in phone, shut down, enter DFU and open redsn0w and click "Just boot".

Why would you not boot tethered when installing a package that requires a reboot?

And pretty much all packages from Cydia only require a Respring. I cant even think of more than 4 packages that require a reboot.

And with the Semi-Tether package installed you will be able to reboot fine so long as you actually open the Semi-Tether app on the SpringBoard and reapply the semi-tether if needed.

And when you do reboot your device will reboot into an none-jailbroken state. In this state, Cydia, anything FROM Cydia and Safari will not work. You can use a different browser or use the Semi-Tether app to patch Safari so it works in the none-jailbroken state.

You cannot use Cydia, or anything from Cydia until you boot tethered with redsn0w again.

This is why it's a "semi-tethered" jailbreak. Before, in iOS 4....a tethered jailbroken was just that...a real tethered jailbreak...where you could not reboot period. You would be stuck at the Apple logo til you boot tethered again.

iOS 5 has changed the tethered jailbreak status...anything tethered in iOS 5 firmware is really a semi-tethered jailbreak...once Mobile Substrate is installed any way.

And you can reboot and use your phone if you really need to..data, calls, SMS all work...just nothing from Cydia or Cydia itself. Big change for the jailbreak community. The people that had tethered jailbreak before iOS 5 can really appreciate this new "semi-tether" that iOS 5 offers...

But sometimes the daemons are broken on reboot..causing a respring loop....

This is why you should install the SemiTether package. This package will tell you of its safe to reboot or not when you open the application.

If the box is red and it says "not safe",then tap reapply til the box is green, then it reapplies the semi-tether so you can reboot into a none-jailbroken state without going into a respring loop.

You will not gain functionality of Cydia or anything from Cydia until the you boot tethered again with redsn0w.

Thank you!! this helped me a lot!!