What's new

4.2.1 tethered 0.9.7b6 - weird

craigfoot

Reaction score
I thought I'd share this as I've just jailbroken my iPhone 4 running 4.2.1, with redsn0w 0.9.7b6.

The jailbreak happened correctly and only tethered was possible due to the phone being only a few weeks old. I wanted to do untethered but there's nothing I can do because of the SHSH keys. I'm pretty sure that because it came with 4.2.1, I can't go back to 4.2b3 which is needed for the untethered version.

Anyway... jailbreak tethered happened correctly, and Cydia is installed.

I was under the impression that jailbreaking tethered meant it would not be possible for me to boot the phone up at all unless connecting to the computer and booting using redsn0w.

If I connect and boot it via redsn0w in tethered mode, it boots up and I'm able to open Cydia and other JB apps.

If I don't connect it, and just boot it normally (untethered), it boots up like normal. I do see all of the icons but cannot open them obviously.

Is this how it is meant to work? This is great as if for some reason I did lose power away from home, and could charge it else where, I could still use the phone as normal (without using the Cydia apps).

I've not used the tethered jailbreak yet. Might get round to it one day.

As far as I'm ware when you reboot you get stuck on the apple logo. Perhaps you've not installed anything that messes about with the iPhones file system too much. From what I understand this is the reason why we have a tethered jailbreak. The jailbreak has to move files around to get it to work. So when the phone reboots it sees that files aren't where they should be so refuses to start.

Have you installed winterboard? It shouldn't boot if you install that...

hey. yeah you are right. i installed some apps and there were no problems with booting untethered.

i installed SB which was the first app which was moreso a system app, and on reboot it hangs at the apple logo.

all good. just thought it was strange. thanks!!

Craig 