What's new

problems downgrading my firmware

IRSmart

Reaction score
i have a 16 gig GSM iphone 4 running 4.3.5. I purposely did not upgrade it to 5.0.1 because i knew it would be worth more to the tmobile community as-is. well, i learned tonight that 4.3.3 is the one to have, it's untethered.

i won't go into detail with everything i've tried tonight, but i feel like i've gone through every youtube video on the planet to try and downgrade this thing. first off, i DO NOT have any SHSH blobs saved. i have never been one to jb or unlock phones (this is only the second one ive ever done). but several youtube videos said that there were ways around this, but i have not found one that works yet.

am i totally screwed here, that the only choice for someone on tmobile is to have a tethered jb until they release an untethered jb and an unlock for 5.0.1 and its baseband? or can someone help point me in the right direction? i have a buyer (a friend of my wife) but only if she can make calls on tmo, and i'm trying to avoid a tethered jb for her, she isn't very computer literate. i know if this phone ever shuts off, she'll never get it started back up again.

There is an untether jailbreak for iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1
Perform a quick search on the forum about it and you will find some threads with how to.

There's no way to downgrade without SHSH. If you are on 4.3.5 you most likely have the 4.10.01 baseband which can only be unlocked via hardware. You can use sn0wbreeze to update to and jailbreak 5.0.1

yes, i'm on 04.10.01 BB. can this be unlocked and put on tmobile? i had a thought this morning. i remembered hearing about the untethered jb for 5.0.1. can i update to that version and preserve the baseband, giving me an untethered jb with the option to unlock and go to tmo?

i guess my core question is, i'm currently running 4.3.5 with 04.10.01 bb. is it at all possible to do an untethered jb and unlock it for tmobile, or am i spinning wheels here?

Last edited:
You can use sn0wbreeze to update to 5.0.1 preserving your baseband. The only way to unlock that baseband is to buy a Gevey Ultra SIM.

Last edited:
ok, i used redsn0w (already had it downloaded an i'm more familiar with it) to update to 5.0.1, jailbroke and installed cydia, and preserved the baseband at 04.10.01

now, the last time i unlocked an iphone was using a 3g, so it's been a while. i see that the iphone now uses a smaller sim card. is that why a gevey sim is needed (whatever that is) or are the reasons software related? i did a google search for "unlock iphone 4 for t mobile" and this was the first page that came up. will it work?

How to use an unlocked iPhone 4 with T-Mobile | Macworld

it seems simple enough, but often times the easy solutions are the ones that don't work.

If you don't have a micro-SIM you will either have to get one from your provider or cut your sim to the micro-SIM size, and then you must use that SIM in conjunction with a Gevey Ultra SIM in order to unlock.

If you don't have a micro-SIM you will either have to get one from your provider or cut your sim to the micro-SIM size, and then you must use that SIM in conjunction with a Gevey Ultra SIM in order to unlock.
ah, ok, so even if i do the cut method like in the link i posted, i still need the gevey sim. i assume this is true even if i give them my original AT&T micro sim that i don't need anymore?

forgive all the questions, i'm just new to all of this.

i looked on Gevey's site for some more info, and it seems that all it does is do the 112 and airplane mode trick manually without you having to do anything. according to a few youtube videos, you can do this yourself, or is the Gevey card doing something more that i'm not seeing? and everything i see regarding them says that a gevey will only work on ios 4.x.x, not 5.x.x. is this incorrect?

Again, you NEED a Gevey SIM to unlock that baseband. There is no way around it, period. Also dialing 112 is illegal in most countries. You should get a Gevey Ultra SIM which does not require dialing 112.

alright, thanks. that's the one that i ordered. last question (i hope lol). once i use the Gevey card to unlock it, do i keep the Gevey card in there along with the Tmobile micro sim, or do i take out the Gevey and put the Tmobile sim in by itself?

Yes, you will have to have both the gevey SIM interposer and your t-mobile SIM in your phone at the same time in order for the unlock to work.

great, thank you for your help (and your patience!)