What's new

Quick question: Is it worth going to untethered 6.1 from tethered 5.1?

trailjunkie

Reaction score
Alright I've searched and read til my mind is ready to explode so I thought I would just make an account and ask an expert.

I got a iphone 4 a couple of weeks ago and jailbreaked it using redsn0w. Only downfall is that it is tethered and useless if it dies on me until I am near my computer. I know 6.1 is fully untethered but I've read about a few
bugs in 6.1 that I don't have issues with in 5.1.

So couple of questions:

1) Is it worth going to 6.1?
2) Can I do anything now in case I want to downgrade back to 5.1 in the future?

Thanks in advance!!!

You can upgrade and downgrade as you please on the iPhone 4 and 3GS as long as you have blobs.

The only con with iOS 6 is that some tweaks or apps are incompatible. However, there are daily updates for stuff on Cydia for apps and tweaks so it shouldn't take long for them to update. I would say about 80-90% of packages are ready for the iPhone 4S and below on iOS 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

I have partial blobs for 5.1 and full for 6.1.

redsn0w states:

###########iphone3,1_5.1_9B976.plist:
All 16 blobs verified for ecid #########, APticket is present and valid.

Is this all I need to do as far as backing my blobs?

BTW, thanks for your quick response!

iOS 6.1 is stable, there's no reason to stay on iOS5. If the previous owner had jailbroken the device and run Cydia at any point during the 5.1 signing window, it should have automatically saved your SHSH.

All hail iOS 5.1.1!! Until there's full support for any and all major tweaks, I'l be sticking with my 5.1.1 on my major devices unless I'm forced to use iOS 6.