What's new

Is there any risk to change the WIFI DSN setting on iPhone?

pamsy

Reaction score
I make use of an app called whatsapp on my iphone 3GS (running iOS 5 now) over WiFi.
For a long time, I did not get alerts from the app when I received a message.
Upon following the help instructions in whatsapp, I changed the WiFi DSN setting to another series of digits on my iphone. After the change, I could get the alerts for incoming messages.

Surprisingly, with this change, it also solved my other problem: I was not able to send iMessages in my message app. In the message app, when I sent a message to someone also on iOS5 and had iMessages activated, the send button was blue and after tapping it, it gave a progress bar all the way through until the last second and stalled for some time and gave me a "delivery failed" notice.
With the change in the WiFi DSN setting on my iphone, I do not have this problem any more. The iMessages are now delivered successfully.

When someone mentioned the iMessages problem, I thought I could share this piece of information. But my thread was immediately deleted, saying that the information was "unreliable" and not "useful".
That got me worried. There must be some reason for saying that.
So, my question is:

Is it harmful to change the WiFi DSN setting on my iPhone? especially I used the series of digits provided by whatsapp?

I am new here and read all the rules. In my sincere believe, I don't think that I am violating any rules. If I do, please forgive me.

Thank you for your patience reading this thread.