What's new

Is 4G much faster then 3G?

It blew me out the door. LTE is new here so I guess not many are on the network Telstra uses a different band width in Australia similar to UK so the phones here are different to iPhones in USA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any idea on when o2 is going to join the party?

Only Orange and TMobile network (plus 3 and Virgin) can take advantage of the 4G network with the current iPhone 5 because of the 4G frequency limitations of the iPhone5.... O2 and Vodafone customers may have wait until the next iPhone release to take advantage of 4G.

LTE is much faster than 3G. I live in the US and my carrier is AT&T. I have cable Internet at home and get 24 Mbps down and about 4 up.

3G would typically give me 2 to 4 Mbps down and 1 up.

LTE usually gives me about 28 Mbps down and about 12 Mbps up. Faster than my home Internet. The lowest LTE speed I have seen was 10 Mbps and the highest was 59 Mbps.

But T-Mobile is not LTE. I just did a speed test on my iPhone 5 and I got 14.37 mbps and 1.59 mbps up. A second test had me at 14.91 down and 2.41 up. I asked my wife to test her Tbolt, on the same Verizon LTE as me. She got 6.5 down and 2.5 up. I tested again and dropped all the way down to 3.29 up and 1.13 down. 2 additional tests with the same results.

I have no idea why I had such a huge drop but looking back at other tests it seems that usually I'm around 14 mbps down and around 2 mbps up.

I'd like to see someone with a T-Mobile phone at my house go up against my iPhone on Verizon. I doubt they would beat me.

TMobile UK...that is

It depends on the carrier. At&t's 4G is HSPA+ and not any faster than their 3G. They only do it so they can say, for marketing purposes, that they are the only network with 4G speeds on the iPhone 4S. True 4G is slightly faster, enough that you would notice a small difference and LTE is a LOT faster, almost home internet fast.

Here's another one I did
B9782570-95E5-45C5-B292-57E606267A11-10091-0000047ABA1810B6.jpg

It depends on the carrier. At&t's 4G is HSPA+ and not any faster than their 3G. They only do it so they can say, for marketing purposes, that they are the only network with 4G speeds on the iPhone 4S. True 4G is slightly faster, enough that you would notice a small difference and LTE is a LOT faster, almost home internet fast.
I think we should correct this statement. AT&T's 4G isn't any faster than AT&T's 3G. But AT&T's 3G is WAY faster than Verizon's 3G. So when coming from Verizon to AT&T like myself, you'll notice a huge difference just with the 3G speeds. I hated my iPhone on Verizon. But now that they have LTE, both are screaming fast. Not just ALMOST like home Internet, in a lot of cases it's a good bit faster than home Internet.