What's new

Iphone7 vs DSLRs

boulderpictures

Reaction score
A few years back, the contract photographer our department would use for editorial shoots, had a Nikon mount 760D, that was put out by Kodak. This camera was only 6MP and you never wanted to change the ISO past 70, because you would get all black in the shadows, however it had a CCD sensor, which yielded beautiful colors.

Later he upgraded to the Kodak 14n, which was the very last PRO caliber DSLR would ever make. I believe the body itself was over $5,000, and one of the only full-frame cameras of its times. So, about 10-years ago, he would have been using it.

The leaps of growth for cameras on cellphones is amazing and has me wondering, how could an entry-level or mid-range DSLR ever keep up with the big strides in pocket technology?

I have been using my Iphone 6+ for a few months and love what I am able to produce with it, and I am hoping to upgrade to the 7+ for the same reason.

So, my question is, how much better is the iphone7 camera when compared to the iphone6? Specs don't mean much to me, I am curious to know if it actually performs better, or is it the same but with larger output?

Images taken with the iPhone 7 are brighter, steadier (optical image stabilisation), sharper and more colourful than those with the iPhone 6s. Shutter speed is faster than on the iPhone 6s. The iPhone 7 also takes better pictures in low light conditions. If you compare images of the same objects, taken with both iPhones, the pictures taken with the iPhone 7 will show more detail.

So if you take lots of photos, upgrading to an iPhone 7 is worth considering.

Referring to your thread title:
Although iPhone cameras have improved vastly over the years, photos taken with a DSLR are still better, most of the time. You can't get the technology of a Canon, Nikon or another good DSLR camera into a small camera such as the iPhone's, and digital zoom can't beat optical zoom. Not at the moment.

Last edited:
True, if I still had my DSLR it would be interesting to get corner crops and compare the IQFT.

I am not sure what the lens is made of on the iphone, but it's nothing compared to a big hunk of glass. The iphone lens can't handle light, that's what makes it immediately apparent that it isn't close to the quality of a dslr... my entire line-up of Canon lenses could be painted into direct sunlight and never show almost any hint of haze or flare. The Canon 14mm 2.8L & 24 1.4L lenses are the absolute best in their class, right there with Zeiss and Leica.

If they made lens elements sapphire and the cover glass sapphire apple would call it "the greatest camera ever "