What's new

Android Phones are “Years” Behind the iPhone in Terms of Photography According to Ex Google SVP

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Ex Google exec says iPhone far superior for photography.JPG

9to5 Mac reports that in a post on Facebook, ex Google senior vice president of Social, Vic Gundotra, has said that Android phones are years behind the iPhone in terms of photography.

Here’s a snippet from Gundotra’s post where he’s singing the praises of taking photographs with the iPhone 7 camera.
“The end of the DSLR for most people has already arrived! I left my professional camera at home and took these shots at dinner with my iPhone 7 using computational photography (portrait mode as Apple calls it). Hard not to call these results (in a restaurant, taken on a mobile phone with no flash) stunning. Great job Apple.”

When someone put it to Gundotra that the Samsung S8 camera was better than the iPhone camera, Gundotra was unequivocal in his dismissal of Android as a photography platform.
“I would never use an Android phone for photos!

Here is the problem. It’s Android. Android is an open source (mostly) operating system that has to be neutral to all parties. This sounds good until you get into the details. Ever wonder why a Samsung phone has a confused and bewildering array of photo options? Should I use the Samsung camera? Or the Android Camera? Samsung gallery or Google Photos?

It’s because when Samsung innovates with the underlying hardware (like a better camera) they have to convince Google to allow that innovation to be surfaced to other applications via the appropriate API. That can take YEARS…

…Apple doesn’t have all these constraints. They innovate in the underlying hardware, and just simply update the software with their latest innovations (like portrait mode) and ship it.

Bottom line: If you truly care about great photography, you own an iPhone. If you don’t mind being a few years behind, buy an Android.”

Source: Former Google SVP says Android phones ‘years’ behind the iPhone in photography