What's new

Iphone5 haunted--keeps dimming the screen no matter what I do

After a bunch of surfing, it looks like it's not a Apple/iPhone issue, it's a problem with Google Maps. For some dumb reason, Google incorporated a functionality where it over-rides your brightness/auto dim settings and applies its own. This wouldn't be an issue except that they ALSO decided that, based on customer complaints about battery use, that they should have their own auto-dimming. When it's going to be a while before you have to turn, it dims the screen to about 30%, and is supposed to re-set it when you get close to your next turn.

Problem is, many of us like to look over at the "navigation" screen once in a while to see where we are and how many miles until the next turn. Google also screwed the pooch on this, apparently not considering that people multi-task on their iphones, and that when Google Maps dims the device, we can't see music, or pandora, or mail, or any other functions.

Google has been made aware of this (LOTS of forum posts complaining about this), and Bloomberg, Time and other media sources have ripped them for the stupidity of this and their lack of response/not issuing an update that would at a minimum allow the user to adjust the settings, or at best eliminate their dimming function (which can NOT be disabled, by the way).

I'm following the lead of the dozens of posts I read online and deleting Google maps until such a time as they update the software.

(You can "work around" the issue by immediately hitting the home button after setting your destination in Google Maps, then rely solely on the voice prompts--but what the hell is the point of having an app that displays a navigation map if you can't display it?)

P

Even if google maps isn't running and location isn't active?

iPhoneMommy

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

if you're still "en route" and have google maps visible, it'll hit that time out point and change your brightness settings. From what I read, this shouldn't happen if it's on in the background, or if you're not "travelling"

I'll have to investigate!

iPhoneMommy

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner