What's new

Iphone5 haunted--keeps dimming the screen no matter what I do

copdocpvd

Reaction score
IPhone 5, current software. Driving yesterday and using Google Maps for my GPS, the damn phone kept dimming itself. Would be fine for a few minutes, then re-set to about 20% brightness.

Didn't matter if I set the brightness to 100%, didn't matter if I had "Auto Brightness" on or off, turning the phone off and back on didn't change anything. Drove me nuts, I wanted to toss it out of the window. Happened primarily with Google Maps, but also did it if I had Pandora or Music on.

Any ideas before I go to the Apple store?

Sounds like a hardware issue. Though, you can try removing Auxo, or any other app that allows you to adjust brightness before proceeding.

Mine keeps doing that too!!

iPhoneMommy

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

A lot of people are reporting NCSettings being the issue. Removing NCSettings fixed this issue for them. Maybe it's worth a try if y'all have NCSettings installed?

I do not. I had to restore and got the new OS. I assumed I was the only one with this issue :)

iPhoneMommy

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

I do not. I had to restore and got the new OS. I assumed I was the only one with this issue :)

iPhoneMommy

A lot of people over at macrumors have reported this issue. Fixing it has apparently been a hit and miss with most people. Lol.

No. Still having the issue.

iPhoneMommy

I too have seen this issue on several occasions, love to know how it turns out for you

Apple Store appointment at noon this Friday, will update everyone after.

Apple Store appointment at noon this Friday, will update everyone after.

Can't wait to hear what happens. I may be headed up there!

iPhoneMommy

I have heard that certain cases or screen potectors can do this. If you take it out of the case does it behave?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OK, spent an hour at the Apple Store (despite having an appointment), and the "genius" I spoke with said he noticed the same thing on his Iphone5 starting last night.

Proposed solution? Do a software reset, and if that doesn't fix it, then it might be something wrong with a sensor and they could replace my phone under warranty.

I REALLY don't want to go through the hassle of pulling my pictures and videos off, then re-setting, then going through the hassle of re-loading and organizing my icons--particularly since it didn't work for iphonemommy above.

I guess I'll have to wait until it bothers me enough to go through the hassle, or plan for my next long trip where I need GPS.

I have heard that certain cases or screen potectors can do this. If you take it out of the case does it behave?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

it's been fine for months with the case and screen protector I have, just started acting up a week and a half ago. It would be really odd if that was the case, and it didn't happen until now, no?

When mine does that, I simply hit the sleep, then the home button and the brightness is back to the original setting. Saves a few steps, give it a try.