What's new

IPhone X Face recognition

applexman

Reaction score
I started this thread so anything to do with unlocking the phone or the face recognition feature could be posted to help others.

My findings so far are that face recognition to unlock the phone only works in portrait mode with the the phone the correct way up.

And yes it works in total darkness.

how about using it in bed or the couch and unlocking it? does portrait only unlocking become a pain?

Yes a little, especially if fixed in your car on a magnetic mount in landscape. Would have thought it would work any way up but have tried with no luck. Will work from above and below in portrait that’s it I’m afraid.

Unless of course I’m doing something wrong :). But I am sure other X owners will correct me if I’m wrong.

Can you turn off the locking like in my iPhone6, when my phone rings or i want to make a call i just want to get going?

Can you turn off the locking like in my iPhone6, when my phone rings or i want to make a call i just want to get going?
OK I will ask, but this is what I see in my Face ID and Passcode section (UK time here), looks like phone can be disabled to work ;)

IMG_1018.PNG

Hope this is true as if not I don't want the X.
Don't hold your breath, I just went into the 'Require Passcode' option and it shows a tick against 'immediately' with that being the only option as you can see below, BUT when I tried to un-tick it nothing happens, it stays ticked and it seems to be the only and fixed option.

IMG_1019.PNG

how about using it in bed or the couch and unlocking it? does portrait only unlocking become a pain?

The face ID does work with some weird angles (no problems with couch, bed, car). It does only work in portrait mode, however I never tried unlocking it in landscape mode until I ran across this thread!

The face ID does work with some weird angles (no problems with couch, bed, car). It does only work in portrait mode, however I never tried unlocking it in landscape mode until I ran across this thread!
And did it work? And have you tried upside down, the phone not you? :) :)

Oh go on then, try it while doing a handstand with the phone the right way up, and while you are at it see if the camera works and if it also posts photos on here while you are upside down :)

And did it work? And have you tried upside down, the phone not you? :) :)

Oh go on then, try it while doing a handstand with the phone the right way up, and while you are at it see if the camera works and if it also posts photos on here while you are upside down :)

haha, after posting I tried it in all kinds of angles without much luck. It still has to be somewhat straight on.

haha, after posting I tried it in all kinds of angles without much luck. It still has to be somewhat straight on.
I wonder why it only works in portrait mode, I am not an expert or even a layman when it comes to this sort of clever technology.