What's new

New leaked patent suggests Apple might bring improved face recognition software to iO

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Featured2-642x466.jpg

Apple apparently has decided to jump on the face-recognition band wagon. We are receiving news that the company has applied for a facial recognition patent intended for the iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Macbook devices. Of course, devices like Google Nexus already sport the feature, but Apple has in plan to provide something extra than your regular Ice Cream Sandwich offers. For starters, we know that Apple will be using a forward-facing camera that will be in charge of recognizing the individual user. Users will be enjoying customize applications, settings and features, all included in the user’s personal preferences.

This new feature would eliminate the need for protecting your device with a password or even manually accessing your home screen. Today, most facial recognition software face the challenge of matching faces, which is not the easiest tasks in the world. Things like varying angles and position of the user’s features have to be considered in order to avoid a mismatch in the image processor. Maybe Apple already has an answer to that. The patent application is called “Low Threshold Face Recognition” and describes in there we find the detailed description of the upcoming device and how it’s going to recognize faces with a "low-computation solution for reasonably effective (low threshold) face recognition that can be implemented on camera-equipped consumer portable appliances.".

The only problem remains the fact that it’s quite unclear how far the discrimination could go. What if somebody has similar looking buddies or family who likes to tap on their device when they are not looking? It might prove that facial recognition is not near as secure as good old fashion passwords.

Source: appadvice

Great step... but did they took into consideration twins like 2 water drops?

Good point with twins! But I bet the issue so far is getting it working. Apple should speak to Xbox. The kinect works on this feature. I turn my Xbox on and kinect recognises its me and signs me in. If someone else stands in front of kinect it says it's not me. Xbox can do it do surely apple can.

iHolophyte

If apple could crush the competition with Siri, then they can easily crush the competition with face recognition. And no, they won't go to Microsoft for their kinect tech.

If apple could crush the competition with Siri, then they can easily crush the competition with face recognition. And no, they won't go to Microsoft for their kinect tech.

I know because that's bill gates territory. But they should bite their lip because Microsoft have it sussed.

iHolophyte

Face recognition will be sick. Let's hope it's not a rumor but reality.

It'll probably be reality soon. Yeah, apple doesn't like intruding into Microsoft territory often, especially when ms is killing the competition;)

id beg to differ, Microsoft kinect is not top stuff, every time it either doesnt recognize me or thinks I'm a dude . :/ fail whale.

By top stuff I meant better overall than the competition, because there really is none except for Sony.

Face recognition sucks full stop. Say I am laying in bed and get a text I want to read do I really want to get out of bed to turn the light on just so my phone can see me to read my txt. How about even walking at night. It's not even worth trying on a mobile phone.

Face recognition sucks full stop. Say I am laying in bed and get a text I want to read do I really want to get out of bed to turn the light on just so my phone can see me to read my txt. How about even walking at night. It's not even worth trying on a mobile phone.
that's a very good point btw, but i think that Apple is also thinking about that factor as well.

I doubt that apple will be fitting infrared cameras to the iPhones.

Infrared cams would be cool. Never gonna happen as you still can't recognize the guy. Only a front cam with LED Flash would work. Still a dumb and awful idea. Everything has its flaws, and we have just pointed out a million of face-recog.'s. What about kinect on WP7's or iPhones?;)